Installation on USB - Harddrive

• Hi there,

I'm new to OMV and am planning a new build right now. So far this board has helped a lot clearing questions, but one still exists:

Are there any objections in using an external USB-harddrive as a system drive for OMV? I've read the threads saying that a USB Thumb drive should not be used due to the high write ops, any similar concerns on a regular (HDD/SSD) USB Drive?

The reason I'm asking is that I would run out of SATA Ports if a plan to use a 6 disc ZFS array (not yet decided ).

Any other suggestions / ideas on how to connect a SSD/HDD to the internal USB Port? Has anyone tried a USB/SATA adapter yet?

Regards
    Madmike2000

• Offizieller Beitrag

USB hard drive is fine. I haven't seen an internal usb to sata adapter but you could leave an external one inside the case.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does the board have a spare pci or pci-e slot? You could always add sata card if it does.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• It does have a spare slot, but I want to keep the power consumption at idle as low as possible. From what I've heard does an extra PCI Card draw around 5-8Watts. The adaptor, especially in combination with a SSD should be a lot less.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a couple of sil3132 based cards. 5-8 watts seems like a lot. I might have to check to see what they use.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, you shouldn't have any issues with a USB HDD/SSD with regards to writes. Certainly a much better idea than a flash drive. I personally would rather figure out a way to properly mount the drive inside the case. Any movement of the drive, etc.. could cause the system to be unstable, drive to fall and get damaged/damage something else, etc.

If it were me, I would just buy a 2.5in external enclosure, and leave the drive outside the case, connected via USB cable. Most of them do not require an external power supply, but some do, so pay attention to that before your purchase.

The other option of course, is get a case that has an internal 2.5in bay (in addition to the 6 bays you need for the other drives).. and use a combination of cables to connect the SATA drive to an internal USB header. You could use a cable like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/…aspx?Item=N82E16812200294 in combination with the cable you posted above, and that should get the job done.

Good luck

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "macnb"

I have an HP Microserver and have been using a a tiny CF HDD inserted in a CF-to-USB adapter.
    The drive i got from ebay is like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3706…_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It fits perfectly inside the microserver in the internal USB port.

I bought two of these - one is for backup. Every few months, I clone one to the other.
    They have been running for 18 months now.

CF cards are not suggested due to the number of writes the OS makes... I'm frankly surprised you've made it 18mo. Good price though.. I guess as long as you understand possible issues, it's not to bad.

• Offizieller Beitrag

He has made it this long because these are actually rotating hard drives. Just very small.

• To jump on this... I am about to create my first OMV system:

I am in a situation where the smallest drive I have is a 1TB drive (3.5" SATA HDD. It seems like a huge chunk would be wasted if I used that for my boot disk (my understanding is that OMV "locks" it in some fashion. Is there an officially recommended kind of drive to use? Will the system run faster on SSD or is it light weight to the point of minor differences. USB2/3 internal drives.. will they hurt performance of the sever? SATA 3.5" HDDs? Looking for guidance here. A simple forum search didn't come up with anything solid (although my searching skills may have been to blame).

• USB 3 connection won't hurt the speed that much I think, not sure how USB 2 would impact it. Recommended are 2,5" disks, maybe buy one from ebay. Or grab a small SSD, they are dropping fast in price.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "emorydively"

To jump on this... I am about to create my first OMV system:

I am in a situation where the smallest drive I have is a 1TB drive (3.5" SATA HDD. It seems like a huge chunk would be wasted if I used that for my boot disk (my understanding is that OMV "locks" it in some fashion. Is there an officially recommended kind of drive to use? Will the system run faster on SSD or is it light weight to the point of minor differences. USB2/3 internal drives.. will they hurt performance of the sever? SATA 3.5" HDDs? Looking for guidance here. A simple forum search didn't come up with anything solid (although my searching skills may have been to blame).

Yeah, 1TB is huge. As david said... You can pick up SSD's a little cheaper now days. You don't mention where you're from but decent, cheap SSD's are running in the 45-60 range here in the US. You can also get new, 2.5in SATA drives on ebay for $25-35 bucks... usually in the 80-160gig range... which is plenty for the OS.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!