Clicking hard drives

• Hello,

I have 4 x 400Gb SATA HDD's, (on RAID 5, I think) and 1 or 2 are clicking during booting, and general operation, and I want to either replace or upsize to save the data.

I am a real noobie when it comes to OMV & Linux type OS's, so I would appreciate an easy to follow "guide" on how to fix / replace the suspect HDD's.

Regards

• Do you have an open sata port? Just get a newer larger drive. Hook it up, format it and mount it. Then created shared folders on it and move data to it. After you move all data to it remove all setting in omv web-gui for the old dirves. Then shutdown and disconnect old drives.

• No, but I can add one.

OK, thanks for the "instruction's", and I'll give it a go, and hopefully it'll work.

But this can't be done on the OMV box, can it ???

But if these disc's are on a raid, can't it fix itself ????

Cheers

• OK, I've had a good look around, and here's what it does:-

I'm running OMV 0.4.

When booting, it gets to "Give root password for maintenance" or type Control-D to continue, I continue.

It's showing ata3 & ata 4 has errors.

Raid level "raid0", in "Storage/Filesystems" it shows the OS drive sda1, and md127, ext4, and another entry that's missing, (don't know what that is)

And in "Raid Management" it show all 4 disc's, sdb, c, d & e.

It seems to give me the option to grow, or repair, but as I haven't yet put another disc in, I can't do that.

Is this any help ?!?!?

• I have been able to do this on the "console" of the OMV box, but have no idea if it can be gone from the GUI, so that I can take a screen shot.

What info do you need ??? I told you I was a noobie !!!!

I just want to recover the data, then wipe it all clean..................

• Probably a good idea to set up ssh, and connect via putty or something similar. You can cut and paste the output of commands from your putty session.

(Nothing to do with your HDD problem... but will make it easier to work with your OMV box)

• If you push "Control-D to continue" then your OMV will boot as normal.
    You can then connect via ssh and give the command tekkb asked for.

I personally got this error with two types of drives:
    - external harddrives (too less power)
    - internal harddrives (defective ones)

So you may be lucky if you can get some data from this drive.

• Thanks to Tyberious Funk & WastlJ for their suggestions....will get Putty, and so what I can find.

I just thought it would be a bit simpler to swap out a defective hdd, than this.

Cheers

• Usually it is. Raid 5 is no Backup. It is only for availability of your data.
    So if one drive fails, you can easily replace it and rebuild the data. If more than one drive fails than your data is no more available....

• Get another Hard disk ASAP. Your drive(s) are dying and guessing that they already block a normal boot and throw out so much errors, I would suggest to replace them ASAP.

Like tekkbebe suggested, get a new drive, attach it, configure it and copy all your data over to it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Sure. You can cp it via CLI by hand either use rsync or cp. You even could do that via a cron job via the GUI.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat von "hermie"

Hi davidh2k,

So is there a way to do the copy within the OMV box, and not having to do it over a network to another pc ???

I frequently refer to this guide when it comes to rsync;

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/rsync-command-examples/

You can use putty to connect via ssh to your OMV box, and then use rsync to transfer data from your failing RAID array to a new drive.

Not that it is essential, but I also like to use a program called "screen" which allows you to easily detach from your putty session while leaving tasks to continue running. You can then re-attach your session when you want to check on them.

To install;

sudo apt-get install screen

To run, just type 'screen'

You can then run your rsync.

Ctrl-a, Ctrl-z will detach your screen, and you can safely close putty... rsync will continue to run in the background. When you log back on, you can re-attach screen by running 'screen -x', and you should see your rsync session still running. Assuming you are running rsync in verbose mode, you'll be able to see how far it has got through the transfer process.

• @Tyberios, CTRL+A +D is detach, whats CTRL+A +Z? (No need to hold CTRL for second 'letter'.)

Also if you run the rsync via the cronjob tab in the OpenMediaVault GUI it will run in the background, too, of course.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!