Remove Disk and Shrink RAID 5 array?

• Ok...

So I got my OMV up and running, and it is going great. I've found a lot of great answers to some of my problems here in the community.

After spending the weekend learning rsync and transferring all the data from my old NAS to OMV, I have some reservations as to how I've set up my RAID.

I've set up a 5 disk RAID 5 array. After looking at it though... I'm not going to use all that space any time soon. I have 4 TB available, and I'm using about 500-600GB. So I'm considering going down to a 4 disk array (3TB) and leaving the 5th disk unused as a backup. This would also alow me the option to consider moving to a more energy efficient 4 disk solution (think N54L) should I choose to in the future.

Is it possible to do that without starting over and rsyncing all the data again? I'm still learning all this software RAID stuff... my old NAS handled everything for me, and I was none the wiser.

Any advice and/or guidance is appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is possible. Read this

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

It is possible. Read this

Great information.

I will do this while my old NAS is still online just in case something goes horribly wrong. :)

Once I get this all worked out, I'll probably post my experience in the My NAS Build forum.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!