Suggestion regarding mountpoints in VM

• Hi, I'd like to start with thanking everyone who made what OMV is today. Awsesome work :)

Now to my issue/question, I'm in the process of setting up a NAS where I'd like to run a few VM's (virtualbox) which hosts a bunch of applications

My setup consists of OMV as host OS with an RAID-6 array where I got my media/downloads etc. What I'd like to achive is being able to hard link content downloaded within one of my VM's (lets call the VM "pirate" ;)) from /media/diskpool/download/xxxxx... to /media/diskpool/media/xxx.... so that I can save HDD space while seeding back whatever I downloaded (linking would be done within VM as exection would come from torrent client). My reason for seeding/downloading from within a VM is mainly security/anonymity (using Truecrypt and VPN), I'm also very fond of the portability idea behind VM's

VirtualBox's shared folders is out of the scope as the mmap() isn't fully implemented within VB and throws heaps of error's when used with rTorrent: so I'm currently considering Samba/cifs, maybe nfs? But thoes solutions doesn't support hard links AFAIK?

Would very much appreciate input, oh and I hope I made sense with all above :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you using OMV for the guest OS as well? Why couldn't you download content on each client to an nfs share that is on the host?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Are you using OMV for the guest OS as well? Why couldn't you download content on each client to an nfs share that is on the host?

No the guest OS(s) is running Debian 7.2.0

So I assume by your suggestion that NFS supports hard links? My main reason is to save space

So I could then create a share out of /media/diskpool/download/, and mount it on my guest OS as an NFS share and hard links would work? :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wasn't suggesting that NFS supports hard links. I was saying export an NFS share (using nfs plugin - export would be /export/downloads) from the host and mount (host:/downloads) that same share to all the guests. No need for hard links because you are dealing with actual files. But maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do (I don't know anything about the seeding/downloading programs).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I wasn't suggesting that NFS supports hard links. I was saying export an NFS share (using nfs plugin - export would be /export/downloads) from the host and mount (host:/downloads) that same share to all the guests. No need for hard links because you are dealing with actual files. But maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do (I don't know anything about the seeding/downloading programs).

Alright gotcha! Anyhow hard links seems to work with NFS; did a few simpler tests now and all golden.

I'll explain further about the seeding/hard link part, when you download a for example movie using torrents you often get an full size movie (xx GB). Rather than copying the same file to a different place (eg takeing up twice as much space) I hard link them an thuss saveing space (mostly ;)) while still beeing able to seed back what I downloaded

• Offizieller Beitrag

Glad it works. I knew soft links didn't work over nfs but wasn't sure about hard links.

• Just FYI: NFS can't do soft links, smb/cifs can. If this is of any matter.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!