How about a DL380??

• Hello all, Let me start by saying that I love OMV. I have built two or three systems in the past two years with different configurations and hardware and have enjoyed them all. (I could save a lot of headaches by using virtual box for my experiments, but you what they say... GOD hates a coward.)

I also love recycling hardware, especially free stuff, that my work throws out. I am currently running one WIn7 box for general desktop stuff, bit torrent dl's, internet research, newsgroup client, etc. I have an old Dell optiplex 330 running OMV, w/ SABnzbd, SickBeard, and PLexMedia Server, never did get Couchpotato to work well, and haven't tried transmission yet. I have a Dell poweredge SC320 running NAS4Free for extra file storage.

I just got 2 DL380's from work that were perfectly fine and were running Server 2003. I have loads of drives for them, mostly 72GB and 148GB. (300gb drives are available for ~$60 ea for future expansion).

Do you think that OMV on one of these machines is a worth while project, giving thier power consumption, noise and limited drive space?

Or should i consider staring new? with an new tower case with WD RED drives (preferably external access to drives) and a modern day mobo and cpu

My main objective is to build a more reliable system. While my systems build from spare parts are Fun, then do have some drawbacks. I'd like to get to a set-up with 4-6 TB of space for streaming media and file storage.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

p.s. I keep getting keyboard errors when re-booting my OMV box, very annoying when running remotely. Is this because i have a KVM switch attached to the box and it senses the usb connector but no active keyboard? or did i screw up a setting somewhere?

Thanks again.

• In the BIOS, set continue on errors to yes.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The power a DL380 and lots of small hard drives use would pay for a new server very quickly. I recommend building a new system that energy efficient and quiet :)

Why do you need a keyboard attached to your OMV box? Why not use ssh? I'm sure the kvm switch is the issue.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the awesome feedback, as always.

Yes i agree that the power used by the DL380's is a waste, and even though I have a bunch of drives already, its still inefficient.

I will start to plan out a new build with new toys...

As for the KVM switch, i had one laying around, and i like to watch the servers boot sometimes, and i would sometimes use the CLI from the actual terminal. In reality, I typically putty in from another machine. However, i will double check the bios, just to see if that works.

Thanks and Best Regards

• Did you ever set up your DL380? Beside the power issue it would be a good OMV box (I am considering the same thing)...

The DL380 was only $100 at the local premium computer recycler in good running condition. Its a great server...

To reduce power I am considering these options:
    1) removing one CPU
    2) using 2.5 SATA for data drives under Snap-Raid (only 1 drive spins) the DL380 supports both SAS and SATA and 2.5 drives use less power than 3.5.
    3) setting "sleep" functions carefully
    4) Virtualization and using the server for other things

The advantage to the DL380 for storage is that it holds 8 2.5 drives in the front, and adding a MSA50 Storage array can add 16 more for a total of 24 drives. Assuming you use 1tb WD Red 2.5 drives and have 2 boot drives in Raid 1 (maybe SAS), that provides 22 storage drives for total possible 18.6 TB in Raid 6. The other plus is configuring various separate pools with differing RAID types dependent on need and size: 4 SSD's in RAID 10 for speed but low capacity, 5 SATAs in Raid 5 for non crucial data, etc.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Kind of an old thread, but you didn't specify which generation of the DL380 you are referring to. If you are referring to a Gen7 server, they shipped with AMD processors and I have one of these units in the lab populated with the first 2 drives being SSDs (hardware mirror).

The rest of the array with 6 600GB SAS drives on soft RAID5, two 12 core AMD CPUs and 48GB of RAM, while sipping around 80W of power when idling and spinning the drives. For a server of that generation and so much processing power, is NOT bad at all. Of course, make sure you let the server control the power management itself and you can also set a power cap from within iLO. If is a Gen8 server, it gets even better, but those are too current to cost $100.

In my opinion, for $100, this is an excellent server and virtualization is wonderful with them. I hope you did get one. They are real fun to mess with and reliable!

• Thanks for adding to my old thread. I currently have 2 G3 DL380's, and they are not as power friendly as the newer ones. I am also looking for a system to be a plex server, as well as NAS, so processing power is important.

I think that a few G5 DL360's are going to available soon maybe even a G6, and I believe that the G6 series is when the power management was improved.

any other bits of info would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

• How about 2 Left Hand Solutions DL360s packed with 750gb 7200rpm Sata drives?
    It's a bit of a mess at the moment. This is my OMV NAS/SAN/VMware development lab at home. When I got the DL320s machines I did not receive the Left Han SAN I/Q licenses so after much deliberation, and testing with FreeNAS, NAS4Free, and various other iSCSI friendly software packages, I decided to throw in the towel and simply put OMV directly onto 120gb Logical Drives on each machine. The top one is currently missing a raid battery and a few firmware updates, so it is relegated to backup storage with SMB and NFS shares mapped to the various places I want to back up from. The bottom one is "Live" Permanent storage and my VMWare trash box for development purposes. My main OMV box is the Dell PowerEdge 2950 w/2x 3.0 DualCore Xeons and 12gb ram w/6 4tb WD Red. It runs, OpenVPN, SABnzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato, and Plex (serving 2-3 local and 4-5 remote streams at any time).
    I'm about to do a full writeup on my system and look for constructive opinions and ideas. Not bad for a guy who guy who found out about OMV from the WD MyCloud community only 3-4 months ago. And the nice thing is that besides the WD Reds in my 2950 everything you see was free to me.

Please excuse the mess, my lab is always a mess:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!