[RESOLVED] OMV cannot resolve DNS / cannot use repositories

• I've just recently (re-)installed a fresh copy of OMV 0.5 (was using 0.4, but had the same issue), and re-configured my server from scratch.

The problem is that after performing security updates through the "update manager", my omv server is no longer able to resolve DNS for the use of apt-get, or web-interface installation of plugins, and I get an entire stream of:

If I use a different PC & ping the server URL's & then modify the /etc/apt/sources.list, with the servers IP addresses, apt-get partially works.
    *edit* Unfortunately, my sources.list is now somehow locked/read only, and I can no longer modify this file - But that's a different issues altogether */edit*.

Using ping from ssh, the DNS do not resolve.

Code
    root@dstore:/etc/network# ping mirror.internode.on.net
    ping: unknown host mirror.internode.on.net
    root@dstore:/etc/network# ping www.google.com
    ping: unknown host www.google.com

Pertinent information is:

My /etc/network/interfaces file is configured as per below:

Can anyone provide any resolutions?

The complete OMV support info is provided below.

• I don't see you pinging an ip address. Try this and let me know results:

ping 8.8.8.8 -c4

When you have an issue like this you should ping a domain name and a number to see if it is dns issue or not.

• On Windows PC (same subnet)

On OMV server:
    Pinging ftp.iinet.net.au doesn't work.
    Pinging the IP addresses of 203.0.178.32 (ftp.iinet.net.au) and 8.8.8.8 (google DNS) works fine.

Code
    root@dstore:~# ping ftp.iinet.net.au
    ping: unknown host ftp.iinet.net.au

Code
    root@dstore:~# ping 203.0.178.32
    PING 203.0.178.32 (203.0.178.32) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 203.0.178.32: icmp_req=1 ttl=246 time=75.9 ms
    64 bytes from 203.0.178.32: icmp_req=2 ttl=246 time=75.0 ms
    64 bytes from 203.0.178.32: icmp_req=3 ttl=246 time=76.1 ms
    ^C
    --- 203.0.178.32 ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 75.038/75.697/76.104/0.470 ms

• Enter your dns server information again. Clear out each field before you enter anything.

Primary is ip of your router
    Secondary should be 8.8.8.8

There might be some small error in the entries. You are on the internet. Pinging 8.8.8.8 proved that.

• WTH is this all about????

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-omvextrasorg_0.5.39_all.deb

You should not be putting any non repo files in the repo locations. Delete this file from there.

cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d
    rm openmediavault-omvextrasorg_0.5.39_all.deb
    apt-get update

Some of you people do stuff that is so ridiculous it is impossible for us to imagine what you have done. Make a scratch folder in root of system drive. Download stuff there or even in /home directory. Don't mix this stuff in repo locations. /etc/apt anything in subfolders there should only deal with repos.

Sigh.....

• Deleting the DNS entries in the web interface, re-entering them, saving/applying them and then rebooting the server has worked.

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-omvextrasorg_0.5.39_all.deb has already been deleted.

After changing the sources.list & openmediavault.list to IP addresses, it was pure laziness that I installed the omv-extras repository while still inside /etc/apt/sources directory.

While changing both files back to the original URLs, I noticed it and have ready deleted it.

• Good... :D:D I mark this resolved

I should add we have started locking the sources.list file. To many people are messing with it and don't know what they are doing. Create repo files and place them in sources.list.d from now on.

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!