Concerns about Cron-apt- SOLVED

• Thank you, please use a code box the next time you post something from the cli, especially if its that big.

Edit: What private information would that be?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I apologize, I didn't (still don't) know what a "code box" is.

"What private information would that be?" - Uh, my primary email addy password????

I'm starting to think that getting spammed by my NAS is a small price to pay....

• Just FYI... your E-Mail Password is not stored in the file.

PS: Wait for WastlJ to tell you what he wants from the file.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• "Just FYI... your E-Mail Password is not stored in the file."

David, it was in the output of that command, big as life. I may not know Linux, but I KNOW what my email address and password is! And it's in that config file. It's even identified as a password!

• Let's try your code box.

This says, even to an idiot like me, that I have notification for cronapt turned off.

• Did you reboot since changing the config?

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

You should search through anything you post for personal infromation beforre you post it. Remove it or black it out in paint.

I agree, but it would be helpful to know what the output of a command will be before you tell your machine to post it to a public web site. I realize a lot of this is on me for not knowing how to navigate in Linux CLI, but damn.

I appreciate everyone's patience and efforts to help. I'm not a computer idiot, just a Linux idiot. I don't really need security lessons. And while we're on that page, I notice nobody jumped up and said "you better change your password", but you can believe that was the FIRST thing I did when I figured out what had happened.

I just want my nice little OMV to quit spamming me unless my drives are failing. If we can make that happen, I promise I'll go away and leave everyone alone.

• You see, sometimes the solution ist just a reboot away.

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

You see, sometimes the solution ist just a reboot away.

Greetings
    David

Many times it is, but not this time. That's not what I meant - the system has been doing (and continues to do) exactly what I want, with the exception of cron-apt spamming me.

We're now entering creepy territory. As I said, I changed my password on my primary email account, which I have OMV set to use as an SMTP server. I didn't, however, change the password in OMV. This should have stopped ANY notifications from OMV, because it shouldn't be able to access the account.

Except it did. In my inbox this morning is another message from CRON-APT with a time stamp of 3 hours ago, hours after I changed the password.

Is this the solution, did I screw up something in the SMTP settings?

• I'm not sure if OpenMediaVault sends the mails via it's own relay, but I would doubt it.

Edit: Is that your bugtracker report? http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1006

Greetings
    David

• Hi, folks, thanks again for your help.

WastlJ - yes, I still receive emails. 2 this morning, 3 hours apart.

David - no, I didn't file any bugtracker report.

tekkbebe - You are correct, and I agree, it shouldn't work - but it does. I sent a test email last night and got that, too, after some delay. And the password in OMV is still my old password, not my new one. One interesting thing I found out from messing with my email account online is that Charter is moving from POP format to IMAP - maybe that has something to do with it? I realize those are incoming formats, but my local client is configured for POP and it still works.

Everything is a chance to learn. I'm going to set up an email account specifically for OMV to use as an SMTP server. Also, I can overcome (somewhat) my severe limitations in CLI by booting my system with a live Mint flash drive. I should be able to provide you guys with any part of my system, as long as you can tell me what it is and where to find it.

I'm going to include the latest email I received, with full header. Also, the original output of config.xml - the password has been changed, so it doesn't matter. I'll put all this stuff in code boxes, but it's still going to make this post really long. I have to say, though - these seemingly magical powers that OMV possesses REALLY make me wonder what it may be doing that I can't see.

Here goes. First, the email:

Now, the config.xml:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!