backup to external storage

• I've got OMV up and running including an "important data" volume on two mirrored disks.

Next step would be to create a secondary backup to an external storage. What I would like to achieve:

• connect to an external storage provider (owncube / box.net / ...)
    • regularily (once a day at least) sync my local data to the network drive

What I am looking for:

• copy only changes / delta
    • encrypt the data before transferring

Could someone either please point me to existing information or describe their setup?

• what plugins are proven for this (rsync / remotenfs / ?)
    • what backup tools are recommended

If parts of this don't work via the gui (and I assume so) I'm sure I'd be able to work my way through the console as well.

Thanks!

• I use rsync for making backups.

I have made a small OMV-backup nas from a VIA C7 mobo and two 1tb disks.
    This backup nas is configures to pull files of the production nas via rsync.
    I normally take backup nas home the last working day of the month. Turn it on in the evening. It does it's job of rsyncing with production nas. Next morning it is finished and i turn backup nas off again. I take it with me to work to keep it offsite.

• Zitat von "jensk"

This backup nas is configures to pull files of the production nas via rsync.
    I normally take backup nas home the last working day of the month. Turn it on in the evening. It does it's job of rsyncing with production nas. Next morning it is finished and i turn backup nas off again. I take it with me to work to keep it offsite.

Sounds definitely faster and more private than sending it "to the cloud". But - do you use the backup nas at work or is it just for safe-keeping? Because if it's the latter I'd probably just backup to some eSATA or USB drive and store that offsite instead of a whole server - and faster than rsyncing over gigabit.

Still - I guess I'll talk to my bank and see how much a safe-box is. A monthly full-backup off-site would be a good thing.

• I have build a complete backup nas with OMV.

It is an old VIA C7 0.8Ghz with 1G ram and a 100Mb ethernet. It it used to be an old low power dekstop thing. I stripped it open and installed two 1Tb disks. The reason i chosed a rsyncing backup nas was the ease of using rsync from the backup nas to pull files of the productions nas. After the backup just power down and bring off site.

• Looks like a nice project, but I guess for my setup I would be lazy and just go for the external eSata HD. ;)

Besides local solutions - any tipps on how to connect to the cloud? I have an owncloud server and some box.net / dropbox space I'd like to connect and haven't found any explanations so far that I could follow ...

• I have teamed up with a good friend of mine. He also has a NAS and once a week we sync the important data from my NAS to his and the other way around. So no need for a cloud, but still offsite ;)

• I've just checked with my local bank around the corner. A safe deposit big enough for a regular folder costs 30 € / Year. I guess I'll get two HDs and make a monthly trip to exchange the drive at the bank with the current backup. Offsite and offline.

Perhaps I'll combine that with a regular diff backup to my cloud storage, just need to find a good way to use my storage at owncube.com via WebDAV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!