VPN client with OMV + transmission

• I looked at their isntructions. They do not have instructions for a server. They are for a linux desktop. Do you have to use this company? Their are other vpn companies that provide better instructions for debian.

• I want instal client on my OMV NAS , but i think no plugin exist for OMV with WebUI.

My provider give me options : PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS
    Normaly i can use OpenVPN client on my NAS , but i think i can't do this by WebUI.

Sorry for my bad english , i m french :)

• I have instal openvpn and i think it's good :

1) apt-get install openvpn
    2) copy ca.crt in /etc/openvpn (file from provider)
    3) open-vpn --config /etc/openvpn/xxxx.ovpn (file from provider)
    4) Connected with message "Initialization Sequence Completed"( i think it s good)

So i find this on OMV network interface:

How can i be sure that OMV use this VPN interface ?
    When i launch "open-vpn --config /etc/openvpn/xxxx.ovpn" , why i can't write another command ( block while openvpn is running ) ?

Sorry i m very bad with debian ...

• You can use another terminal/putty session to check if it uses the vpn. just use (tracert or traceroute) google.com with vpn off and on.

For your second problem: you can simply add a " &" at the end of the command and it will run in the background.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Huh? of course you can. Just connect twice with putty or if you're in front of your machine hit alt+f2.

PS: You can also put the username and password into the config file.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• With traceroute you see through which servers/routers you reach your target. It should be way different when OpenMediaVault routes the traffic through the vpn.

Greetings
    David

• i think it's good :

with VPN :
    1) 10.179.1.1 => 109.201.154.254 => internet ... => google
    without :
    2) 192.168.1.1 => 109.XX.XX.1 => .... => google

So my OMV bittorent plugin will use this VPN ?

• Erm, it jumps to the same ip range on the second jump? Thats awkward.

Greetings
    David

• I have instal transmission and all works :D

Just what can i use to know if transmission use my VPN?

What i want (my process):

1) Download Web site , "GO" on torrent
    2) WebSite send request to transmission for start a torrent ( via my public IP,not VPN )
    3) My NAS with transmission start torrent via VPN
    4) I'm happy :D

Whitout VPN :
    - it's ok ( just step 3 is not with VPN)

Whit VPN:
    - step 2 fail , but when i try in firefox url : http://mypublicip:9091 transmission is good ...

• I don't use transmission so I can't answer that.

Greetings
    David

• You can check your torrent ip using this;

Code
    http://torguard.net/checkmytorrentipaddress.php

The problem you will most likely have is that when connected to the VPN, all your traffic may be tunnelled through the VPN - which may not be desirable. I split my traffic by process UID, i.e. only processes running under a specific UID (in my instance the rtorrent UID) are tunnelled through the VPN, all other traffic goes through normal ISP WAN.

• Well, the first thing you will need to do is ensure that transmission is running under its own unique user id (UID). For rtorrent, this user (UID) is specified in the init.d file (etc/init.d/rtorrent). I assume that you will have a similar file for transmission . . . depending on how transmission is installed or how it works it may not like / allow running under a different UID?? btw, you can check the UID of the running processes probably through the OMV interface or by running "ps aux" at cli prompt (as root).

I then used the information in this link to tunnel the UID only through the interface. . . .
    http://www.niftiestsoftware.co…ecific-network-interface/

• Ok , i try your tutorial , thank you.

Now my VPN is correctly launch and i can send request via my 9091 port for start a torrent file on my NAS.
    But the torrent client (transmission) doesn't work.

In transmission log : "could not connect to tracker"

How can i test my VPN is OK for tracker ? (without a .torrent file )

• I found the same instructions that scoobynz found, and it appears to be working for me. For transmission, the uid is debian-transmission, so you update the scripts and all traffic for that user is routed through the VPN interface (tun0 in my case). What I really like is that traffic just stops if the VPN connection is lost, so you don't have to worry about your traffic routing through another interface.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!