OMV on Zyxel NSA320 ?

• Tried it again . . but failed again. Is it me or my knowledge or maybe my device ;(

Running into endless loops, serial info is here:

• And the info from printenv after the failure is:

• i won´t give up . . i want to have OMV on my device . . but seems we have to go into fourth round and hope you wont give up
    This time it did more, also wrote inode tables, but after reboot seems error with bad magic number comes up again . . . and after booting kernel it stops

• after restarting:

• and my information from printenv after booting failed:

• Wat? Firmwares are minimal linux systems, seems that in this case they went more minimal than usual.
    Maybe in a firmware update they changed something, as Arch script failed too.
    But the NAS is surely able to partition a disk as it has to do it to use the sata drives you put in it, so it's just a matter of trying different ways until one works.

Download this and place it in the USB drive where you have unzipped the files from the zip above https://www.dropbox.com/s/sq6e…bx/usb_key_func.sh.2?dl=0
    It will overwrite another file with the same name.
    That's the newer install script (overwriting the older one).

Then try again. Fourth round... :thumbup:

• WOW . . i think we´ve got it done
    This is end info after installation

and connection via putty is also working

But i changed my system firmware from 4.7 to 4.4 from zyxel, not sure if this has something to do with.

• but now it stops at OMV installation according your link inside the readme.

Code
    root@debian:~# echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    -bash: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list: Read-only file system

something wrong with source or links?
    seems system is now a read-only fileystem

Code
    cannot create directory `/media/Platte': Read-only file system

have read some more, and also got another error:

Code
    mount: only root can do that (effective UID is 1000)

here i read soemthing that it has to do with the owner of the files. cuold your rootfs may the problem?

• finally.
    try

Code
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda2 /

This should remount the partition as read-write.

I think the main partition needs to be checked.

Code
    shutdown -rF now

then when rebooting stop autoboot (presss something)
    then at Marvell>>
    wait 20 seoconds then write
    run bootcmd
    and press enter.

This should make sure that the hardware watchdog is disabled while the file system is checked. Otherwise you have only 20-30 seconds before it reboots the NAS automatically.

• i i try this, getting also the error:

Code
    mount: only root can do that (effective UID is 1000)

also checked on web . .but could not find any info that helps
    but I´m logged in as root ?(

• JEP, finally i got the debian running with write access. made a test and created a folder, changed root password . . works fine ! !! !
    But happy to have serial connection as i had to do command by hand

Code
    rootfs: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
            (i.e., without -a or -p options)
    fsck died with exit status 4
    failed (code 4).
    [....] An automatic file system check (fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A manual fsck must be performed, then the system restarted. The fsck should be perfo[FAILin maintenance mode with the root filesystem mounted in read-only mode. ... failed!
    [....] The root filesystem is currently mounted in read-only mode. A maintenance shell will now be started. After performing system maintenance, press CONTROL-D[warnerminate the maintenance shell and restart the system. ... (warning).
    Give root password for maintenance
    (or type Control-D to continue):

Maybe this can be worked out as well for other users who do not have the serial connection. i could also always available to test it.

But really great work and thanks much for your help and setting up

Now i tried to install OMV, but still getting some errors and not running. So i will check again and post what´s the problems are. Maybe we can also work it out.
    Part one is almost done, debian is running
    Part two for OMV to continue

• This is what i get when i follow the instruction from link for OMV from your readme:

Finally, i get OMV running. Had to delete one entry from source.list using nano. After this, everything went well ;).

Once again, thanks a lot to get it running. And happy to have the serial help.

• Maybe this can be worked out as well for other users who do not have the serial connection. i could also always available to test it.

Added the file system checks to the install script, I hope the zyxel firmware is able to do it without screwing up, so we can close this case.
    Download this https://www.dropbox.com/s/sq6e…bx/usb_key_func.sh.2?dl=0 and place it in the same USB drive to overwrite the older install script. Same as above.
    Then use a new drive (so you don't erase your current OMV system) and install again, let's see if it boots to Debian correctly.
    Don't install OMV again on the new drive, the part where I need your assistence is only the "installing debian" part.

Once Debian is installed and boots well, my NAS and yours become identical (mine has a faster processor and a USB 3.0 controller, and a custom bootloader so I could not test this script on mine, but the rest is the same)
    I can go on and troubleshoot other Debian and OMV things on my own NAS (which is quicker and better than wasting your time).

The plan was to make an installer that installs a Debian system where OMV is already installed, so the user will never need to use terminal.
    I focused on getting Debian in the NAS first, less things that can go wrong and less MB to upload every time.
    You got the link to the instructions so you could have OMV in the NAS as fast as possible, in the final package there will be no need to do it.

Zitat

But really great work and thanks much for your help and setting up

A big thanks to you too. Without your logs and ability to setup and use serial this would have not been possible.

• Well . . currently i may killed my complete nas after we finally got it running ;(
    I wanted to do some settings in OMV, but there were problems finding my big free drive partition.
    Thought ok, let´s start from beginning .. use lower nas firmware of zyxel, install debian and OMV again and collect all info during setups. BUT something went wrong . . got broken firmware and at least lot of messages with bad blocks . .

Don´t aks me why i tried things again by myself . . . was very late . . . but i deleted my nand or at least the information inside.
    it says bad magic number before any kernel is booting.

I found a instruction how to delete and rewrite nand flash with serial cable and tftp server.
    I hope it will work and i could get my device nand back working as it should.
    But at moment i´m freez at the point to connect to a tftp server. Maybe it is because using everything in virtual xp machine as my windows 8 can not support the serial cable. Guess without any tftp connection and only in uboot i will not get back functional nand.

If any good idea i would also appreciate.

Oh, and your idea to have debian system already OMV installed sounds good and i really hope to get my device back to support you on it

• without logs I'm a bit blind...

can you post the results of a printenv like above? Also the errors you got that evening would have been useful.

That said DO NOT FLASH ANYTHING TO NAND OR YOU WILL PROBABLY KILL THE NAS. NOT KIDDING. POST LOGS AND WAIT.

uboot is still working, so even if the firmware is gone you can still get the NAS to boot OMV if you set it correctly manually.

Most of the other stuff can be done easily after you booted your PC from a Linux Mint live CD (where you get a graphical user interface so it's mostly point and click).

• well, that´s all i get when booting the NAS:

and this is the output of printenv:

• Ok, so something screwed up and you did revert the uboot to original settings. Uboot seems to be fine. no bad blocks in uboot, that's good.

Now, back to fixing this thing. The procedure assumes that you have extracted a firmware and have that list of files (DATA_xxxx and so on). Do you have them?

I found here the tools to do the extraction http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?p=29251#p29251 and firmwares are easily available around, but the tools run only on linux and on ARM processors so I will need to run them from inside my NAS. You cannot run them from uboot.

If you don't have the files, when I get home I'll use my NAS to extract the files from the firmware and upload them.

These are the instructions in case you have the files already.

Ok, the TFTP server is a program that allows you to send the data to the device through the ethernet cable. Serial is for communication, not for data (well, it can move data but is very slow).

If your PC is windows 8, install that TFTP server from the link in windows 8, and place the DATA_1000 file in the folder that this program is sharing (so that the NAS can see it later).

Then you need to disconnect the PC from wifi or router. remove all USB drives and Sata from the NAS.

Change manually the IP of the PC's ethernet port to become 192.168.1.1 as said in this guide http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/d…+with+a+Static+IP+Address

Then follow their instructions from point 7 onwards. It's mostly copy-paste the commands they give, and check for any error code.

If you reinstall Debian please give a full log of what is happening so I can know what to fix.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!