Solving miniDLNA installation issues

• Hi,

I can see in the forum, many problems with the installation of miniDLNA.
    One thing that can be done is to install the server from deb-multimedia.org. This repo is quickly up to date for many debian multimedia packages.

- Add deb-multimedia.org to your list of repositories (see site).

Code
    deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
    deb ftp://ftp.deb-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free

The first package to install is deb-multimedia-keyring.

- Refresh the repo list

Code
    apt-get update

- Install minidlna

Code
    apt-get install minidlna

- Install the plugin from OMV-plugins.org, minidlna would not be downloaded from here because it's already installed

Plus, you have now access to all multimedia librairies (ffmpeg, etc...) if you need it on your OMV server.

Hope this help.

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups

Powered by OMV v5.6.26 & Linux kernel 5.10.x

• You can use "nano" or install the "vim" package to have vi running on the CLI ;)

Just add the 2 lines in and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb-multimedia-org.list file, update repos, and install ;)

ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

• Hi,

You can use nano which is included in OMV, or install the "vim" package to have vi in your CLI

Then, add the 2 lines in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb-multimedia-org.list file, update repo and install minidlna as described ;)

• Nano, where have you been all my life?!?! :)

Still no dice after repo add, further digging in the forum I tried steps below and am now rocking out!

Thanks sbocquet & tekkbebe!

Re: Minidlna server error
    by tekkbebe » Tue 4. Sep 2012, 17:21

you hopefully have putty and know how to enter a ssh root session on the server....???

1st)
    service minidlna stop

2) make sure you have minidlna folder /var/cache/minidlna:
    cd /var/cache

3) run list command
    ls

4) do you see minidlna folder? if you do not see it do this step otherwise go to next step while in /var/cache folder
    mkdir minidlna

5) then
    chown -R minidlna:minidlna /var/cache/minidlna

6) delete any files.db
    rm /var/cache/minidlna/files.db
    rm /tmp/minidlna/files.db

7) it looks like you have just video in your media folder so edit your minidlna.conf in /etc
    cd /etc
    nano minidlna.conf (if nano does not start install it by "apt-get install nano")
    scroll down to your media line "media_dir=/media/1b81a907-33b1-474d-bf78-ba74625fed86/HDfilmek/"
    edit so it reads as follows "media_dir=V,/media/1b81a907-33b1-474d-bf78-ba74625fed86/HDfilmek/"
    hold CTRL and press x
    press y
    save name as minidlna.conf (minidlna.conf name should be showing and you should be able to just enter to confirm same name)
    then do a hold CTRL and press x again

8) lastly
    service minidlna start
    Last edited by tekkbebe on Tue 4. Sep 2012, 18:05, edited 7 times in total.
    tekkbebe

• Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that if you already have minidlna installed, you should remove it by "apt-get remove openmediavault-minidlna" before reinstalling it for the deb-multimedia.org repo.

Nice it works ;)