setup CIFSr homedirectory with password

• hi all,

I just pend a fair amount of time trying to setup CIFS home directories with password, but for the love of all thats holy, i can't get it to work.
    Sometimes i get a login when typing \\openmediavault\user in start|run box , sometimes i just get an error telling me i don't have access rights.

A link to a how-to will be great also.

what i've done:

i got a unix directory /media/storage/home
    i shared this folder and used this shared folder as a sambashare with homedir and browseable selected.
    in Access Right Management | User i have home directories enabled and selected /storage/home as location.

i tried with and without adding groups users and/or smbshare.

This basic functionality should not be dificult or impossible, right???

Thanks,
    Sander

• were your users created before you enabled home directories in access rights management/users/settings area? create a new user and see if it works. if this is the problem you could delete the users you created before you enabled home directories and the home directory location. then recreate them. if this is the problem the earlier users had no home directory.

• I have a similar problem.
    I created the users first.

I need two folders A and B. User A connects with smb and is taken directly to "A" folder. The same with B.
    Also I don't want A or B accessing each others folders.
    I tried "Use home folders" and a "home" folder appeared
    I set permissions but then A could access B or A could't access B and B could access A and so on...

I has FreeNas before and I moved to OMV because of ext4.

That is all. I cannot make it work.

• OK, first of all if you create a user in omv it will not create a home directory, as a default currently. You need to enable home directories under
    Access Rights Management/ Users then on right click on "settings" tab put a checkmark in enable and choose where you want the location of the home directory.
    Then click on ok. If you created the users prior to this step I don't believe it will create the home directories post facto. So the users you created are bad or you need to add the home directories and location via command line, I'm not getting into this cuz to long. Best to do is delete users and make users again.

For those that don't know the default area for home directories in linux is the /home directory on the system drive. I believe Volker added this home directory enabling to allow us to easily choose a location other than the typical default of /home on the system drive. Most would rather have it on a data drive. Under
    this scenario the home directory does not have to be called home. It can be named whatever you want. On the data drive you could mkdir /users and you could direct that to be the home location when you enable home directories.

Understanding Samba is not simple, it begins at complex and can lead you to areas that are quite difficult... Volker has made this incredibly simple for novices.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tekkbebe ()

• I would say to you also, do not mix your home location, or ftp home directory, in with another samba share like a media folder, or data folder. keep your shares separate or you can encounter a lot of access rights issues. i would have a home directory at the root of a data drive. a ftp home directory would be a seperate folder at the root of the drive etc....

• ok. that clears something up. thanks!.
    But what do the shared folder mean?
    I want to enter my home directory when i access the drive and keep data there.
    and a music folder at the root? /music that holds files for everyone.---> is this a shared folder?

I'm failing to see the connection between -shared folder path-cifs-home directory-name of home dir-name of shares-priviliges and acls...!!

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

I would say to you also, do not mix your home location, or ftp home directory, in with another samba share like a media folder, or data folder. keep your shares separate or you can encounter a lot of access rights issues. i would have a home directory at the root of a data drive. a ftp home directory would be a seperate folder at the root of the drive etc....

do you mean:

/harddrive/myname/data private
    /harddrive/othername/data private
    /harddrive/music shared
    /harddrive/movies shared

and then give rw perms to each folder for each user

• Shared Folder gives users privileges to read,read/write enter a folder etc... basically, which can be further refined later.

SMB/CIFS share is sharing it on the lan.

I read thru an old post and it looks like you can change home directory or add later. If you go into Access Rights Management/User then on right select user
    by clicking on to highlight then click on settings and then enbale home directory choose location and click ok. So make your users. Make your folders. Do your Shared Folders. Then do your SMB/CIFS shares. For home directories have an individual folder for each user and after doing the steps mentioned then go back and change home directory for each individual user to his individual home folder location.

Hope this works. I setup all my stuff differently via command line. So not positive how Volker implemented home directory feature but give it some trial and error and report back for others.

/media/uuid(which is that long hard drive number)/usera (if you do it right u dont need to call it private data cuz all folders below this point will be this users only and you can test and adjust privileges later. just try to get shares working 1st)

/media/uuid/usera
    /media/uuid/userb
    /media/uuid/music
    /media/uuid/movies
    /media/uuid/backups

It takes some time to figure it out even if you know how to do configs for samba and use chmod, chown, etc.. in command line. Don't get discouraged and keep asking questions til u get it.

• hint to get quickly to root of a data drive in command line:

say you have this data drive mounted in system drive's media folder:

/media/3c889f0c-le0e-4049-9be9-338b738/

to get to root is this drive do this:

cd /media

do a list command

ls

it will show you the drives uuid then you can get to root by the following

cd /media/3c88 (then hit TAB and it will fill in the rest of the uuid) so then the add the "/" and hit ENTER and your are in the
    root of the data drive without typing out the whole uuid, this works for all file or folder names. remember up arrow brings up last used commands too.
    lots of the time you can add on little bits to the last used command to get where u want to go.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!