HP Micro G7 N54L

• thanks for the info. I have not opened the top area yet but wanted to make sure. Do you have any recommendations on what modified bios i should use? I just googled it and found a few sites and all look to do what I want.

• My drives were running in a qnap years ago. Formatted them and built the omv with my raid 5 in 2012. Running without any problems. I had a pendingsector lately. But I reallocated this block and since then no more error messages. However I will buy a new drive soon.

• Thats good to hear. This 4 bay nas will be a starting point for me. I would like to build a nice 8bay in the future. I hope they can get it working on those new atom board that have 12sata ports on them. That would make for a nice nas set up.

• Hi,

I want to build something similar to you: i've got a proliant N54L with bios already modded, 4 Go Ram, 4 hdd of 3To, a 30Go SSD with rack and cables to install-it on the 5.25" ODD location, and 16Go usb micro-stick. I've already install xpenology to try but i'm not fully satisfied with performance, so i want to give a try to OMV, with JBOD storage (I dont need RAIS as I'll use regular backup of important data on a second NAS).

Where can i found a tutorial to start the installation with this configuration? I red a lot of informations on this forum but i was not abble to found something to start the installation!

Thanks
    Philippe

• well just a heads up for everyone looking to add a 5th hard drive to the odd drive of the hp server. You will need to add an sata cable and molex power to sata adapter. I asked about this and people said its there. No.. its not there. You will want to buy a sata cable and power adapter.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Glad you like it! That's an awesome little server that you have, by the way. I work for HP in the R&D labs, and let me tell ya, that's one of our favorite designs. The best feature you have is the iLO management that is built-in, and is a very flexible little unit. Just make sure you keep up with the firmware updates on it, there was a lot of work and changes that we did over the time to improve the system overall.

• The best feature you have is the iLO management

If there was only an 'OpenSource' Solution for that type of Hardware... :(

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah, iLO is very proprietary, but also it is tied up at such a low level within the hardware, that you really don't want to mess with it. Plus since is independent of what you install, it doesn't really matter. What I would like to see, would be an OpenSource solution with open hardware for any type of computer. For example, a very small computer such as a Raspberry Pi that can take control of the hardware and pass on things such as KVM over the network. It can be challenging though, is not an easy task. But that's basically what iLO is: a self-contained computer that admins your server remotely and provide KVM over IP.

*Edit: Damn auto-correct on OSX

• What I would like to see, would be an OpenSource solution with open hardware.

Of course. I read some time ago that years ago there was some open hardware but it never was accepted the big way and was buried some time later... :(

With something like that you could finally put your NAS into the basement without the need to get to it ever again for software related maintenance. The The N**L doesn't suit everybody. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I absolutely agree. I can't say much about it, but I'll give you a hint for Intel systems: Intel ME. If we can tap the potential of Intel's Management Engine, we could at least have a solution for people using boards that include the ME features. I am not sure to what degree though, since you have to do crazy things such as JTAG programming on the fly and they are kind of strict on what works with it and what doesn't. There is also the possibility of simply tapping the actual hardware by using pin headers, and use an FPGA to take video signals and encode them digitally to be used over the network. That would work with anything.

• Throw it on the market below the 100$/€ range and I will buy it. :P

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is actually doable. Like I said earlier, something tiny like a Raspberry Pi, it can serve a webpage and completely manage the target server as an external device. The only thing to do internally is run the power and reset wires to it so it can control power and hard resets. I will definitely look into it, I might be able to come up with a prototype.

• I have a 'spare' Pi here... Just poke me/create a dedicated thread. :P

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would absolutely test this thing. It could save a lot of money. Also looked a bit into it. But how do you want to get the pre boot screen to work?

>>Waiting for a dedicated thread Spy Alelo :)

Well that would be why an external, embedded computer would have to capture the video regardless of the server's state and one of those things that would need to be engineered. Perhaps using an FPGA to capture and compress the video. I am a bit afraid of starting a thread yet since I'll need some help with the design, soon enough though.

• Just wanted to say Thank you to everyone on here. I now have my HP set up with OMV in a raid 10 with 4 4TB drives. This thing run real well and its very easy to use. Now I just need to read up on how to back up the configuration as I want to make sure I know how to move the configuration over to a new drive if this one where to every die. I might just order another HP box and set up a second box and then maybe do a raid 5 on that box.

Thanks again for everything.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!