Create a shared folder with password protect?

• Hello everyone,

this question seemed easy at first but I did not manage to create a shared folder with password. I tried many options but I can be as good as I thought to manage permissions :)

Can someone enlighten my little lantern?

tanks

NeurOSick
    Hardware ASRock N68C-GS, AMD FX-4100 8GB RAM
    OMV3 Distro + OMV-Extra + Docker + OpenVPN = Unlimited possibilities!

• Please tell me how you create the share, and where you think is your problem. (Maybe with Screenshots?)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• In fact, I have no idea how to proceed. I tried to create a user with password. Then in Shared Folders / Privileges, I gave access only to that user. Then I connect to the samba share via another Windows PC, there has a popup that asks me login password and it does not work. Then I tried to play a little with ACL, users groups, etc. .. but I still get nowhere!

Now I wonder what is the procedure? This is an area I have not explored at all in recent years, it's only 2 or 3 years I touch Linux (especially Ubuntu) and 3 months with OMV and Debian.

tanks for your support!

NeurOSick

• Read this: http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2923

If there are still questions, ask again.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• tanks for your guide but I have always the same issu. When I try to enter Login Password on Windows It say :

\\MEDIAVAULT\Folder are not accessible. You maybe not have the access rights to use this network source. Contact your administrator to see blah blah...

Many Connecions to a server or a share source with the same user, with using more than users, or not allowed. Delete all previous connexions or the share source and retry.

(sorry this may not be the exact translation of the message, my systems are not in English)

And when I try via my Android tablet the message is : Connexion Fail : The account have no permissions.

regard's

NeurOSick

• I think either the ACLs are not set correctly or the underlying chmod of the shared folder isn't working for you.

Code
    ls -la /media/UUID/sharedfolder
    groups usernameofyouruser

+ a screenshot of your ACL settings page for the shared folder you try to share.

If you're still around this evening, I could have a peek via Teamviewer, if you don't mind. Just PM me the credentials if you like.

Greetings
    David

• You did not gave your user permission to access the shared folder (in ACLs). You need to give him at least read if not read/write permission.

Also check that for permissions.

Greetings
    David

• I really do not understand why it does not work now .. I made screenshots on any matter of seeing where I plant. Sorry .. I seriously feel like a real noob on this sequence.

I also tried to use my "other" as the owner and it does not work anymore.

ACL chown other http://neurosick.homelinux.com…3f05cab9b7f66ffeb9826fdc4
    Edit Users http://neurosick.homelinux.com…e9d6f7da704b3711c42826ad3
    Privileges http://neurosick.homelinux.com…7dc3ab8d4a46664609e71f90b
    SMB/CIFS http://neurosick.homelinux.com…04b5d8dc1f4db13c5d2dd2021

regard's

NeurOSick

• Neuro, get TeamViewer on the machine you are using to connect to your OMV. Someone will help you then.

PS- We so need a video on creating a shared folder. It gets so old doing this over and over again.

• I have no problem to TeamViewer but there is probably a big jetlag for davidh2k. I would be available for TeamViewer Thursday morning 9:00 GMT-5 (15h00 for Brunswick, Germany)

tanks I PM you davidh2k for TeamViewer Thursday if all it's ok.

NeurOSick

• hehe... no problem with this "jetlag"... alltough I'm not home before 15:30.

Greetings
    David

• I'm around now.

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

I'm around now.

Greetings
    David

Sorry, my family life is full of surprises. I'll probably Callback Monday to see if you're available. Thank you for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

EDIT : sorry I lack time for it to sync to TeamViewer. I work more on the server has shot 30 minutes here and there. At the moment I put restrictions by IP and when we have a chance I'll let you know via private message. Thank you for your support.

NeurOSick

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

PS- We so need a video on creating a shared folder. It gets so old doing this over and over again.

As an OMV and Linux n00b I'd really like to see that as I get quite confused about setting permissions in OMV. To the point where I've pretty much given up and made everything public for now until I get some time to learn more. A nice video about this stuff would be very helpful.

• We're looking into that.

Greetings
    David

• Hi...i have this problem to.
    I have 3 hdd with 3 diffrent folder. I want to make 1 hdd with shared folder and password protect. 2 other free access.

Please anyone welcome to remote my OMV and make it video to help each other. I will happy to let do that.
    Just pm e and i will sent my id password.

• I may got time around 18:00 (EST) this evening.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!