OMV network speed with cifs/cmb decreases

• Hi,

ive installed the newest Version of OMV on my HP N36L Microserver. Installed the image on the 250gb disk that was included. After that i created a mirror of two 1tb disks and activated the cifs/smb and configured the permissions.
    I use the onboard network card in the microserver.the file system for the mirror is ext4. When i start a copy to the server it starts with 70-80mb/s but then it decreases and decreases... Now after 10 minutes i have 7,8mb/s and it seems it will decrease to zero.
    When i connect with putty and type in ethtool eth0 it says:

It seems that it detects the gigabit card. Can anyone help me?

Mfg Ironcurtain

• drew, you should not be using smb/cifs to share files with a mac. you should be using afp ( apple file protocol) to share files with any apple machine. you need to install the netatalk plugin and ask questions under the configuration/AFP to get help with configuring it.

@iron, what kind of machine are you using with your omv machine? windows, apple, linux?

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

drew, you should not be using smb/cifs to share files with a mac. you should be using afp ( apple file protocol) to share files with any apple machine. you need to install the netatalk plugin and ask questions under the configuration/AFP to get help with configuring it.

@iron, what kind of machine are you using with your omv machine? windows, apple, linux?

Most my machines are Linux based Media centers. I was using the Mac to test the speed by which it cna write and read to the SMB shares but i wasn't not aware how to.
    I will attempt AFP for the photo shares, however i did previously try it and did not notice any improvement in speed

• AFP support is kind of slow with Linux servers, and SMB support is a little sluggish with OS X. On the other hand, CIFS/SMB with SAMBA and a Windows PC can be extremely fast, to the point of me being able to reach close to 124MB/s (roughly 998Mb/s). I do too have Macintosh computers and I have that performance issue as well when using AFP and SMB. The only advantage to AFP is being able to use Time Machine, at least for me.

Since you mostly use Linux computers and OS X, it actually makes sense if you use NFS. This will be handled natively by every client, even OS X since as you may already know, it is based on Unix. Native server/client connections do tend to be faster as well. Do feel free to create an AFP share, but I would reserve that for special applications such as Time Machine. Keep us posted!

• Zitat von "Spy Alelo"

On the other hand, CIFS/SMB with SAMBA and a Windows PC can be extremely fast, to the point of me being able to reach close to 124MB/s (roughly 998Mb/s)

:shock: how do you achieve this :?:
    I've never been able to achieve descent performance with Samba, even with Windows client :oops:

• Have the same performance. You need five things in place to achieve it.

1. A client that can push data fast enough
    2. A network that can push the data (1Gbit/s real throughput)
    3. A NAS box with a CPU in place to support the bandwidth in samba and the RAID level (esp. if RAID5).
    4. Disks in place fast enough to support it. (in RAID the slowest disk will be the bottleneck).
    5. The right RAID/LVM/ext4 setup.

Especially when using RAID5 with ext4 you should optimze ext4 for RAID5. For further details on that configuration look into the http://forums.openmediavault.o…9&p=2302&hilit=ext4#p2302 thread.

With a HP N40L everything performs very well. To analyse more indepth, we need additional inforamtion about your hardware configuration and the current layouts of your storage subsystem.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Zitat von "christian"

:shock: how do you achieve this :?:
    I've never been able to achieve descent performance with Samba, even with Windows client :oops:

I didn't do anything special, just the right combination of hardware. First, you never use PCI cards for SATA or network controllers, since PCI has a limitation of 133MB/s and is a shared bus. I am using a board that has six SATA ports internally, with a complete Intel chipset (the one in my signature). The network interface is once of the most important things, try to stick with the Intel based ones over the PCIe bus. Realtek will work decently but you will never get near saturating a gigabit link. The hard drives I'm using are also not that special, just WD Green that I bought a few years back when my NAS had FreeNAS. The one thing for sure, is that my desktop can handle the top speeds from and to the NAS, by using three Velociraptors on RAID 0. Now days though, just about any decent HDD can get close though.

• Hi, i'm getting only 50MB/s over SMB on my N40L.
    Running 4x3TB WD Red Raid5 XFS.
    Processor never gets over 50% load, on the other processor load is only 15%.
    With AFP write speeds are at 115MB/s and from time to time peaks to zero for 10 seconds.
    What can i do?

Pappl

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like a networking issue and/or client issue. My N40L hits gigabit peak and averages over 90 MB/s over SMB (raid 10 array, raid 1 array, and individual drives are all about the same). I have seen slow downs but it is usually something caused by the windows client. Most of the files I transfer are large movie files. I've never seen mine stall.

Is the server running out of memory? What model and OS are running on your Mac?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "PAPPL"

Using Mac Mini Late 2009, on N40L RAM is at 2% usage (8GB ECC RAM) and on Mac Mini the CPU & RAM is <20% usage.
    ryecoaaron: Are you running default settings for Network (MTU,..) and SMB in OMV?

Doesn't sound like it is the client at all. I am using default settings for network on my N40L. It only has two gigs of ram and I am using Trendnet TEG-S80g gigabit switch. The Win7 client I transfer from the most is connected to the same switch. I have another Win 7 system that is connected to another Trendnet gigabit switch for another jump that transfers at the same rate.

I also have no problem transferring at 80 MB/s + while my son is watching movies (mpeg2) via minidlna. Not sure what is causing your problem... bad switch and/or cable? Any warning about a bad drive??

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!