[SOLVED] eth0 parameters deleted from interfaces file

• I have noticed whenever i make a change to the System\Network of OMV web admin, my eth0 adapter is deleted from the /etc/network/interfaces file.

I need to manually re-add back
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

Strangely, the Diagnostics\System Information\Status\Interfaces only shows a blank page even when the networking is up.

• - think i have solved this. need to add the etc/network/interfaces file manually to get connectivity.
    - /System/Network/Interfaces - edit the current interface
    eth0 is there but the IPv4 method is listed as manual.
    Changed this to DHCP - even though that was in the interfaces file.
    applied and note it has made a number of additional changes to the interfaces file.

System Information - Services Graph now works.

• I give you some advice. It works better to leave you interfaces DHCP. With most routers you can create a static lease in the router's settings. When you create the lease you need the mac address of the interface and then put in the ip you want. Upon reboot of your OMV your router will assign a static lease (ip) to your OMV. Static leases work way better then assigning a static ip in the web-gui of OMV.

• I´ve assigned a static ip directly in the webUI of OMV since my first day of use. I install them with dhcp, then put in the static ip. reboot, and then configure the rest. Encountered no problems since yet.

• think you both misunderstand. i use static DHCP reservations on the router.
    The webui by default wasn't correlating to the /etc/network/interfaces file. i.e. the file had no eth0 entries.

when i manually added eth0 back to this file, it still wasn't reflected in the webui. i.e. the webui still showed Manual - as the setting for the interface.
    Once i changed this to DHCP in the webui. i got back the graphs, etc for the network interface and the system is working.

• That is a normal behaviour. OpenMediaVault does not reversly detect changes in config files, but can just redo them from the variables that are set within the GUI. So, change them from the GUI if neccessary and not the other way around. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• If your system goes down and you need to boot it with a system rescue cd, or parted magic, what ip address will your machine have??? It will be randomly assigned via dhcp server. You will find for many things it is good to always know where a device will be located on your network, thus it is good to use a static lease.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!