power saving setups

• OK, so i have my base system running the way i want with CIFS and NFS for my Ubuntu and Windows cllients.
    Have Plexmedia running for the various media clients around the house.

Need some advise on house to setup of power saving. i.e. i want the nas to sleep after a period of non-user by either plex, nfs or cifs clients.
    the client should however continue to see the nas box and wake it up when access is required.

i have three wifi routers using dd-wrt, 2 are configured as switch/wifi devices and one is the router to my cable modem, which also services the dns/dhcp.

i am a linux novice, so could use some advice on getting setup here.

• You should have a look at those things:

1. for shutting down your nas
    - install omv-extras >> http://omv-extras.org/simple/i…install-omv-extras-plugin
    - install "autoshutdown" from the plugin list
    - configure it. If you have any questions, please ask

2. WOL
    - have a look at your dd-wrt´s they should support WOL (wake over lan) to wake up your nas when anything in your network needs it
    - activate WOL on your OMV (network interfaces >> edit >> WOL)

• Can WOL boot a system from its shutdown state or only from sleep? Is there a way to set the whole system to sleep after a period of inactivity?

I am relatively new to Linux and have been using OMV for about 4 days. I want to use OMV primarily as a backup server for important data and want the system to sleep when it is not syncing. Is this possible/feasible or am I just better off setting specific boot, backup, an shutdown times?

• WoL does work too if the System was shutdown. You can achieve your desired features with the help of the Autoshutdown Plugin.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!