Awful Harddisk recognition

• Oh man, what a madness!!!!
    Well, after some years with FreeNAS - and now a short excursion with NAS4Free - it was time to begin some new thing :). So I decided to install OMV and look what's on the other side of the world ;). Backup of my ZFS-Raid and then a short switch to OMV. Installation pretty easy except for the grub-installation. I really don't understand it, but my installation-disk was sdc and grub absolutely want to be installed on sda!!! No way to switch to sdc. Well, now I boot with the good old Lilo :)
    After that I want to build a raid5 and the anger began!!!!!! No disk was seen in the menu. After some searching in the old forum I now know that OMV needs disks without any partitions or file systems. Ok, but how to reach this with Linux??? It has taken 2,5 hours to solve this problem!!!! It was not enought to wipe the whole disks, no it was necessary to penetrate the disks with the dd-command. Oh man, which normal person could this know????

Improvement proposal: Could anybody insert a command to "format" any disks in a way, that OMV is able to recognize this as disks for raid-configuration???

mike

Zotac H55ITX-C-E Mainboard,
    8 GB RAM,
    i3-540 CPU,
    64GB Samsung 830 SSD,
    4x WD-GP 3TB (WD30EURS) Raid5,
    Chenbro ES34069 Server Chassis
    OMV 3.x

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "mikewarer"

I really don't understand it, but my installation-disk was sdc and grub absolutely want to be installed on sda!!! No way to switch to sdc. Well, now I boot with the good old Lilo

See http://blog.openmediavault.org/?p=340 and http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=609314

Zitat von "mikewarer"

Improvement proposal: Could anybody insert a command to "format" any disks in a way, that OMV is able to recognize this as disks for raid-configuration???

There is a 'Wipe' button in the 'Physical Disks' page to clean the whole device and make it ready to be used in OMV.

This is necessary to ensure the user does not select a disk that already contains data which will finally be lost when the disk is used as part of a LVM or RAID or a new filesystem is created on it. This is a feature to protect data loss. This might make problems if you reuse old harddisks that where part of a LVM or RAID before (thus blkid reports the disk is not clean and the WebGUI will not show you the device as candidate in the LVM/RAID/FS candidate list).

• Well, I had seen the wipe-Button but after this the disks were still not visible. Only after the dd-command they were visible. However, now they here and the raid was build :).

mike

Zotac H55ITX-C-E Mainboard,
    8 GB RAM,
    i3-540 CPU,
    64GB Samsung 830 SSD,
    4x WD-GP 3TB (WD30EURS) Raid5,
    Chenbro ES34069 Server Chassis
    OMV 3.x

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!