OMV does't boot with my USB Externa Drive

• Hi guys,
    I'm upgrading my system using NAS4fFree for Openmediavault. Always used the system installed on an external USB drive normally. The BIOS supports booting from USB drives and I always used Nas4free booting from External drive, but was unable to initialize the OMV starting the USB.
    The bootloader is not loaded and the bios reports that there is no operating system. I tried booting another computer with this HD and boot goes smoothly, means that grub is installed correctly.
    Have I disabled the AHCI options, reinstall grub, change the HD, and several other things but nothing works. Grub does not load.
    I'm running out of ideas, need help. Thanks for support!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually I have told lots of people to use a usb hard drive instead of a usb stick when all of their sata ports are filled.

ACHI shouldn't affect the usb ports. What motherboard are you using?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I had some similar problem caused by using an USB 3.0 port with Squeeze. You're not providing any specs or anything so I'm just guessing. :)

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

What motherboard are you using?

Im using a old notebook. My usage is simple, just run miniDLNA, transmission. I'm trying to install the cups server, as the Nas4Free is giving me nightmares. Tested the virtualized OMV and everything ran like a charm.

Zitat von "subzeroin"

I had some similar problem caused by using an USB 3.0 port with Squeeze. You're not providing any specs or anything so I'm just guessing.

This computer has USB 2.0 ports. I think that's not the problem. Thanks for the guess.

I tried a few things.
    I tried to boot from a live CD and restore the grub. It did not work.
    I tried to install other versions of OMV. It did not work.
    I tried to install grub-legacy (I think I installed correctly). It did not work.
    I tried to install Ubuntu 4.14 on USB HD. the same problem happens.

The Bios do not even start the boot. The error indicates as if the HD had not installed any system.
    It seems that for some reason the Grubb can not be read from USB. But the freebsd bootloader is read without problems.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Did you try post I gave you. Make root delay like 10.

I think my problem is different. Because I have no way to access the command line. I believe that is even before the system call.

I have an idea now, do not know if it is possible.
    If I install Grub in HD connected to SATA port, and he called the system on the external HD. Is it possible?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why don't you want to install OMV on the sata drive? If it is the bigger drive, you could always put the bigger drive on the usb port.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• How big is the boot partition ?
    I had the same problem. You can't boot debian from usb-disks bigger than ~240GB.
    I had the problem with a 500GB usb-disk.
    You can install it, but not boot.
    I made a partition of 240gb and installed into this one. After this the system booted.

• He probably needs a delay to mount the filesystem on the usb drive. It is not ready in time when fstab is runs.

See the 1st post here:

http://phpbb.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1465

Sorry for resuming this old topic but I have the same issue and the link you posted is not available anymore.
    Can you describe what I have to do, please?
    Thanks in advance

Inviato dal mio m1 note utilizzando Tapatalk

Intel atom 330 ION | 2Gb RAM | OMV on USB drive
    OMV 3.0.58 Erasmus | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 3.4.13

• I would like to know the answer to this as well

You are responding to a thread that is 48 months old. If you are having this or a similar problem it would be better if you started a new thread.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!