Appopriate apphroach to SMART errors on my RAID

• So I'm running a RAID 5 setup with 6 2TB drives (3 WD green and 3 Seagate Barracuda), been running for 2 years now but recently I discoverd 2 of the Seagate disks have SMART errors on them

Critical data is backed up on Crashplan so thats NP, what I'm trying to decide on is how to best upgrade this RAID (change to healthy and perferebly larger capacity drives) while not crashing the entire RAID all together, I know it's a big risk but as I wont lose anything critical I'm willing to risk it

I currently got 2 WD green 3TB drives layin arround, should I make use of thoes or buy new stuff?

What would you do?

Thanks,

• I would not suggest to use greens anymore in raid since WD released its Red version of NAS Drives. The greens are so annoying in a RAID that they get removed from an array on a daily basis for some users that I think the small amount of extra money is worth buying the Red Drives.

Also I would suggest to Build a new Array rather than upgrading yours step by step as it will take some days everytime to rebuild the raid once you exchanged a disk.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I agree with David. If you are using RAID you should be using a drive made to be used in a NAS or even an enterprise class. If everyone would stick to this I don't think we would see so many RAID issues. Also, when using RAID make sure you use a Battery Backup device.

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!