Change Mainboard without new Installation

• Hello,

Is it possible to change the Mainboard without installing OMV completely new?
    I'm talking about ALL Disks (Installation & Data)! Setup would be exactly the same, excepting the Mainboard of course.

Possible without mess up OMV?

Thank you!

grtz
    CmdA

• Ah, okay. Then I will wait for official release :)

Yes, I have.
    It will be an Asrock 970 Extreme4 Board with an AMD FX6100 CPU.

At the moment I'm running OMV on a brandnew Asrock Q1900-itx, works fine but the performance is not what I expected.
    So I wanna test to change the Systems.

The 970Extreme4 is my HTPC at the moment, with an AMD FX6100 a little bit overpowered ;)
    This should be the NAS, and the little Q1900-ITX the HTPC.

I will only have to handle the power-consumption of the 970 Extreme4. It's with openELEC at 65W in idle... :/

• The Asrock 970 Extreme4 should come with the Realtek RTL8111E Chipset for ethernet. This will according to some google entries work with debian squeeze which OMV 0.5 is based on.

So feel free to switch the mainboard ;)

• At the moment I'm running OMV on a brandnew Asrock Q1900-itx

How did you get it to install on the Q1900? I've been having problems (as well as some others) with the 'no cd'-error, and am looking for a workaround...
    I've used unetbootin, dd (windows version), win32diskimager, several usb-sticks (which work on the previous mobo, an Intel DN2800MT), and an external cd-drive.
    Right now, I'm thinking of putting the ssd in another pc, installing omv, and then putting it back, like you're asking here, but would rather use a workaround, so please share!

• Hey,

I put the SSD for my OMV-Installation in another PC and installed OMV there. Then switched the SSD back into the Q1900-ITX.
    Was the only way to get it work.

Now I installed Wheezy 7.6, that works directly with the Q1900-ITX Mainboard.

grtz

• If Wheezy 7.6 works on the Q1900-ITX, and one can put OMV on top of that, I think that would be the 'easiest' solution, but perhaps putting OMV on the SSD through another PC might be 'cleaner'. I'm going to try the latter, I think.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or you could wait six days and use the OMV 1.0 installer :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I've seen the blogpost, but I've been binge-watching 'Allo 'Allo, and am not sure if I can hold out ...
    If it fails, however, I'll quickly hang the hard drive containing my drug of choice on the Raspberry running OpenELEC, which will then get me my fix :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

I understand :) I remember waiting two years for OMV 0.2!

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Dwarf Fortress is worse, with blog updates every few days, and a mind-blowing extra feature every week, while the actual update to 0.40 takes more than a year.

Update on my situation: the other pc did not like the USB stick either (fancy new mainboard in that one too), so I've installed debian Wheezy, and put OMV on top of that. Everything... just works. Running OMV 1.0.20 (Kralizec), and right now in the process of putting everything back how I like it.

Thanks for the help!

• Hi,

i nearly want the same what C0mmanda wants.
    In my NAS with omv 2 is the ASRock Q1900-ITX and i want to change it with my ASRock QC5000-ITX.
    Is it possible, and if yes can i just change the Board and boot omv, or is anything else to do ?

Cooler Master Elite 110
    ASRock Q1900-ITX
    GeIL Green SO-DIMM 2x2GB, DDR3L-1333
    3x Western Digital WD green 3TB
    1x 60GB BOOT-SSD
    be quiet! System Power 7 300W

• Offizieller Beitrag

Either run omv-firstaid or delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules before you shutdown the old system.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!