New OMV install on Debian Wheezy proxy

• Hi all,

I've been building up a new server over the last week, and I had everything but OMV working. Now I can't get OMV to work, and I've broken most of what was already working... lol.

I'm running Squid for proxy auth through Dansguardian content filtering. I had Apache installed and sort of working (it only served the "The server is running but you have no content" page, but that was enough for now).

Dansguardian listened on port 8080, and passed connections to Squid on 8081, and it worked perfectly. I'm also directing Squid users to OpenDNS name servers, for a second level of content filtering (I have kids at just the wrong age to be using the internet without serious protections).

Anyway, that was all working fine. Cue several bodged OMV installs, and now nothing works. I started by trying to apt-get install openmediavault while still pulling from an old OMV repo via my apt/sourceslist. I had lots of issues with dependencies etc. all being a mess, but I eventually found out that Fedaykin was the old OMV, I changed the source to be Kralizec, and I apt-get installed with no issue. Or so I thought!

It seems that the new OMV serves the web gui via Nginx, which I know nothing about. My server had some hodge-bodge mix of Apache and Nginx, so I apt-get removed Apache and Openmediavault, and then apt-get autoremoved to clean up any leftover old dependencies etc. I rebooted to make sure I had a clean slate, and then simply did an apt-get install openmediavault. It pulled down the 50-something packages again, and set up the sites-available and sites-enabled OMV folder and symlink, as it should, and it all looks great, but... I can't get to the web gui. Well, I actually can't get to any sites at all.

I simply get "Iceweasel can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1.", and I get the same for 192.168.1.2 (the local address of the server, rather than its LO). How do I configure Nginx? Everything I've read said it should just work, but I think having the old Apache install on here has confused things. It's possible that many of my ports are blocked now (maybe uninstalling Apache closes port 80 for security?), but I've tried omv-firstaid and changing the port to all sorts of alternatives, and I'm fairly sure it's not just a matter of them all being blocked.

To make matter worse, Dansguardian now doesn't work, because it can't bind to 8081 anymore. I'm in a little over my head when we start talking about socket binding, I'm afraid.

Code
    root@novak:/home/jedi# service dansguardian restart
    Restarting DansGuardian: dansguardianError binding server socket: [8080 192.168.1.2 0] (Cannot assign requested address)
    Error binding server socket (is something else running on the filter port and ip?
    Exiting with error
     failed!

For the record, Squid is still happy:

Code
    root@novak:/home/jedi# service squid restart
    Restarting Squid HTTP proxy: squid Waiting.....................done.

Can anyone tell me how to clean up my OMV/Nginx/Apache so that the webgui works, and which part of my clusterf#@k might have broken DG's attachment to 8081?

Thanks heaps!
    Benjamin.

• Well, you jumped from B to E while you forgot that C is the actual stable and that E uses a newer Debian base System. So to fix your system you need to upgrade debian too, first, I guess.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Pardon me, I thought you were initially using Debian Squeeze which would be the correct base install for sardaukar and before.

As for the blocked port, try 'netstat -tulpen | grep portnumber' to find what daemon is blocking it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• It turned out that the OMV install (I think, possibly something else) had edited my interfaces file and told eth0 to use DHCP. I reset it to my desired static IP and everything is working again. For now, I've removed OMV and just setup Samba shares as a pseudo-NAS, as this is a production proxy that I can't take offline. I'll fiddle with turning a Debian VM into a proxy that also works as an OMV install, then mirror that onto the production box, I think.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!