[QUESTION/REQUEST]OMV on a NAS D-Link 320L

• ... yeah... i created the account just to ask for it, but please be kind to me! if i'm asking, it's beecause i'm really intrested in the solution offered!

So... i have a NAS D-Link DNS 320L. It's a fine device, quiet, small and consumes little energy BUT it's pretty limited without tweaking.
    My main use for this little machine is torrenting, but i also want to stream some media from it (not that it could actually do any decoding or converting, just stream it to PC/android phone/etc), while being as quiet and economic (both energy and budget-wise) as possible.

I'm one of these "dumb users" kind of people: good to follow guides, not so much to fully understand what i'm doing, but i managed to install debian-squeeze so i could get deluge on it. (transmission is a tad less informative and limited than deluge, and kept giving me access denied errors).

So, i stumbled on the Open Media Vault site, and it looks like a dream coming true! Good functions, excellent interface, works with the bittorrent client (that's better than transmission IMO) and have DLNA support for the media needs...

but the wiki says it needs 1GB of RAM and a x86 processor

This is kinda conflicting. because i found threads with people claiming they're installing it on Raspberry Pis, that i'm almost sure that have less horsepower than my NAS ( 256MB RAM, 128MB Flash and a processor Marvell Kirkwood 88F6702 @1GHz)

So, i ask if anyone here had any experience trying to install OMV on a similar device and what were the results. If there's any minimalistick build, maybe deactivating some features... anyway, if there is any form of making it work in my NAS, as "modest" as it is.

thank you kindly

• It's possible to install OpenMediaVault on those devices where you can install Debian.

The problem is that it is rather slow on these devices, and, if you can't upgrade to debian Wheezy on your device, you will be stuck with old versions and old plugins in a bit.

To try it out (on your own risk): http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2140

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!