[SOLVED]Changing file ownership?

• Hi @ all,

I try to install MailArchiva on my OMV 1.0 (respectively on the Debian machine underneath). To do so, you I SSH to my machine, Change to superuser permissions by using

Code
    sudo -s

and get the installation file by

Code
    wget --no-check-certificate link

After the download,

Code
    ls -l

shows that the downloaded file is owned by root (and of course, group root). To install the program, I have to untar the file by using

Code
    tar -xvzf file

After having untarred the file,

Code
    ls -l

shows that the untarred directory is owned by user openmediavault (group openmediavault).
    This makes the installation impossible, as I do not have the permission to use the Installation script

Code
    directory/./install

as either root or my usual user.
    What did I do wrong or what do I have to do to get it installed?
    Thanks for your Support,
    bg,

Gilhin

• Offizieller Beitrag

Probably a better question to ask on the MailArchiva forum. Are you just archiving your mail? openmediavault-offlineimap is in the testing repo which works well (I use it myself).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your quick feedback. I thought it to be the right place to ask as I guessed that this behaviour was somehow driven by OMV.
    I'll check the other Forum, thanks for your hint.
    Thank's for the plugin Suggestion as well, I'll check that out. Archiving is the one thing, MailArchiva furthermore allows to search through your mails.
    Bg,

Gilhin

• It didn't cross your mind to download and extract it with your normal user? And for gaining root rights I would use 'su -l' instead, but maybe the installer doesn't even needs root rights.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

It didn't cross your mind to download and extract it with your normal user?

It did, but didn't work either.

Zitat von "davidh2k"

And for gaining root rights I would use 'su -l' instead, but maybe the installer doesn't even needs root rights.

Greetings
    David

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll try that the next time.
    Bg,

Gilhin

• Erm... where did you download that file? On a data drive under /media/UUID/?

That path is mounted with noexec...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Puh, well, ... who would ever do such a thing? :shock:
    After installing it from /tmp/ it magically worked... :oops:
    Long Story short: Problem (in front of keyboard) solved, great support.
    Thank's a lot,
    bg,

Connor

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!