Transmission Plugin

• Hi !

I recently installed OMB's latest version on my brand new NAS.

And since then i've been trying multiple time to set up Transmission using the plugin.

Here is a chronology of what i did:

• Installed the plugin.
    • Changed the Transmission WebUI login password, and changed the destination Folder in File/Location.
    • I started the daemon and then started a torrent.
    • Torrent didn't start and provided the Permission denied error.
    • Opened the settings in the Transmission WebUI and noticed that "Destination" was blank in there.
    • Added the correct destination thinking that even if it overwrites the OMV configuration for bitorrent, it still should be fine.
    • Then i edited the ACL list for my torrent folder, noticed the "debian-transmission" group and all other users/groups where showing duplicated in this ACL windows.
    • Gave the R/W rights to debian-transmission group and to "Others" to the torrent folder.
    • Shutdown the daemon by unchecking "Enable".
    • Specify again the shared folder AND it's path : "Torrents"
    • Restart the daemon and went to the Transmission to attempt to add a torrent again.
    • Torrents never starts and the destination folder keeps getting unset after starting a torrent...

• Uninstalled and installed again the plugin, created a fresh destination folder, gave it the correct ACL (still duplicated debian-transmission in there)... No success.

Some more informations :

• Code
      Sep 27 21:35:28 ThePirateBox transmission-daemon[9939]: S**************************p4 tr_fdFileCheckout failed for "//S**********art": Permission denied (inout.c:100)

(*** added on filename) --> Most common error in Syslog...

• Torrents usually starts for a few seconds before getting this permission denied error.
    • Transmission sometimes gets a kernel fault and the daemon shutdown
    • In the transmission WebUI, i often get timeouts, even though i'm connected right in ethernet to the NAS. (Similar permission denied issue but for the WebUI files apparently).
    • My destination folders was located in /Torrents and was also a Samba share.

I think that sums it all. I have no clue what to do now to fix this. Also these duplicated users are quite scary...

Hope anyone can help me out :)

• This problem took me forever.

Go to Server -> Files and Locations

Then there you see Download, Incomplete and Watch sections. Even if you dont check Incomplete and Watch you have to choose a share folder. After that you hit the OK button and it should be fine.

• The problem is that i choosed a shared folder and provided a path to my Torrents folder. Then i try to start a torrent and the "shared folder" location field goes back to blank.

On the other hand, can you confirm that providing a "incomplete folder" and "Watch folder" is not mandatory ? (as long as you don't check them respectively).

Also the weird thing is that most torrents starts for a few seconds and even download a few bytes before getting this permission denied.

It looks a bit like another process or something regularly overwrite my Transmission configuration files. What i really don't get is how is that possible if i just did a fresh install of the transmission plugin + creating a brand new shared folder with ACL and everything...

EDIT: By the way, do i have to fill both the "shared folder" and path fields in the Server > File locations, or specifying only the shared folder is enough ?
    Maybe the fact that i filled both may have been an issue...

• I don't know yet how to do so.

I will be back from work in one hour and able to give you more details about that.

I'm planning to do :

• cat /etc/group | grep debian-transmission --> Verify who is included in the transmission group.
    • ls -al /media/**disk-id**/ ---> Give you more details on folder priviliges.
    • Maybe a screenshot or two on the configuration of the plugin itself.

Meanwhile, please feel free to ask for additionnal command outputs.

Some other questions :

• Where is the transmission configuration file ? I don't plan to edit manually but just to "cat" it from time to time to verify it's state before/after adding a torrent. (i suspect it's being overwrite)
    • When uninstalling a plugin, does it really clean all related configuration ?
    • Do you think using the "settings" panel in the transmission WebUI (not the OMV one) can create a conflict with the configuration tab in OMV ?

Thanks for your help :)

• One last important question :

When specifying the destination folder for torrents in OMV UI, do i need to provide a Shared Folder AND a path ?
    I'm a bit confused since providing only a shared folder should be like providing it's path in the same time.

Or maybe that's two different things ? Like the Shared folder is the folder it will be moved to after it was sent to /provided/path during download (that should be the incomplete feature then ?).

The two fields i'm talking about are the two top ones in the Location tab. (Sorry that i don't have the UI here to be more specific).

• Ok...

Si i tried to uninstall the transmission plugin, reboot, and then install it again.

I got a fatal error and the installation failed.

Then i got so frustrated i decided to fully re-install OMV, to get a more clean system.

So i just re-installed everything, with regular reboots just to be sure. I did all the updates possible before installing Transmission. Got 100% sure i gave R/W rights to the debian-transmission group.

And even after all of that, it's still does the very same error.

So here is a screenshot of the syslog during the error :

cat /etc/group

ls -al :

Transmission settings:
    http://imgur.com/Ys10p

• The file is NEVER edited. That's why i got some permission issues. Even when the daemon is off. The settings file is NOT edited. I verified file permission on settings.json. It looks fine.

Are you sure of the path for the settings.json ? I got two on my system, and the daemon is currently using another one :
    /usr/bin/transmission-daemon --config-dir /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info --auth

EDIT2: Both files are mirored. So it's no big deal. Yet the daemon doesn't seems to read the conf files at all.
    I manually edited the file and added :

Code
    "download-dir": "/media/920e6be1-a26c-4b1d-84d6-dec66649e25b/torrents",

The settings remained fine but the daemon keeps on trying to save at "//filename" which is the root. Now the question is why the daemon is not using it's configuration at all ?

• Where can i get the version number ? Doesn't seem to be displayed in conf files. Maybe with the deb package ?

Tried this :

a list of all downloaded deb packages.

• Can you check if /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/settings.json is just a symlink?

There should be something like this:

Code
    ls -al /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info
    total 56
    drwsr-x--- 5 debian-transmission debian-transmission  4096 Sep 29 17:25 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root                root                 4096 Nov  3  2011 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 debian-transmission debian-transmission  4096 Mar 22  2012 blocklists
    -rw------- 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission   994 Jun  9 23:39 dht.dat
    drwxr-xr-x 2 debian-transmission debian-transmission 20480 Sep 29 17:25 resume
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root                root                   38 Mar 22  2012 settings.json -> /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json
    -rw------- 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission   166 Sep 29 17:25 stats.json
    drwxr-xr-x 2 debian-transmission debian-transmission 16384 Sep 29 13:32 torrents

Code
    ls -al /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json
    -rw------- 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission 1931 Sep 25 23:26 /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json
  • ls -al /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info

Code
    root@ThePirateBox:/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info# ls -al /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info
    total 28
    drwsr-x--- 5 debian-transmission debian-transmission 4096 29 sept. 16:54 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root                root                4096 28 sept. 19:05 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 debian-transmission debian-transmission 4096 28 sept. 19:05 blocklists
    -rw------- 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission  316 29 sept. 16:18 dht.dat
    drwxr-xr-x 2 debian-transmission debian-transmission 4096 29 sept. 16:48 resume
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root                root                  38 28 sept. 19:05 settings.json -> /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json
    -rw------- 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission  140 29 sept. 16:54 stats.json
    drwxr-xr-x 2 debian-transmission debian-transmission 4096 29 sept. 16:48 torrents

ls -al /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json:

Code
    root@ThePirateBox:/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info# ls -al /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json
    -rw------- 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission 2316 29 sept. 16:43 /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json
  • Zitat von "Tetsuo6995"

EDIT2: Both files are mirored. So it's no big deal. Yet the daemon doesn't seems to read the conf files at all.
    I manually edited the file and added :

Code
    "download-dir": "/media/920e6be1-a26c-4b1d-84d6-dec66649e25b/torrents",

The settings remained fine but the daemon keeps on trying to save at "//filename" which is the root. Now the question is why the daemon is not using it's configuration at all ?

If you restart the daemon, it saves the current config again. You cannot edit the configuration file when the daemon is running. You need to stop the daemon, edit the config and start it again.
    At least this should work.

• Well i stoped the deamon, but when i start it again it just reset the configuration file.

EDIT: I did it again and it worked !

Looks like i just needed to insist a bit that i want to change the configuration...

I have still no clue what did reset so many times the configuration file before. We will see if the daemon resets itself the next time it goes down.

Thanks for your help !

If you need any more details about my configuration to investigate this more, feel free to ask !

• i updated transmission to 2.71 with donald/stable today.
    sadly i had to realize that transmission2.71 is still blocked on some of my trackers...
    So how to downgrade transmission??
    tried to uninstall/reinstall the plugin..still on 2.71

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!