Configuration Backup

• Has been changed some month ago, I would say,

Yes, you do not have to install the backup plug-in for clonezilla.

The rest of this guide should be still ok: Headless Backup of the System Drive with Clonezilla

Is the above guide still valid in terms of being able to do it headless? I installed Clonezilla under OMV-Extras - Kernel tab. I then clicked "Reboot Clonezilla Once" to set up the bootloader. Then I clicked reboot on the OMV button on the upper right. It does work in that it boots into Clonezilla. However, it will not connect when using Putty even though it has a static IP. When I connect directly through HDMI I can see that Clonezilla has loaded, but it is asking setup questions about language, keyboard map, etc. It always asks for these questions, so it really never loads fully until I answer them. Any suggestions? I am doing something wrong?

• Offizieller Beitrag

However, it will not connect when using Putty even though it has a static IP.

When you boot into clonezilla, it is using dhcp not the static ip you set in when it is running OMV. The note under the install Clonezilla button says:

• IP Address will be set by DHCP. Using static DHCP is recommended for headless servers.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• When you boot into clonezilla, it is using dhcp not the static ip you set in when it is running OMV. The note under the install Clonezilla button says:

• IP Address will be set by DHCP. Using static DHCP is recommended for headless servers.

Yes, all my equipment have static IPs set by DHCP in the router. I have confirmed when rebooting that the NAS has received the same IP as before. The NIC is set to DHCP (default) in OMV. The problem is that no connection can be established by Putty or WinSCP. When I switch to HDMI, I always get this screen:

So Clonezilla does load, but I need to set the above (and a few more screens) every time I reboot into it. Again, this is when connecting a monitor/keyboard to the server. Even after that, I still cannot establish an SSH connection. To me it seems like Clonezilla is booting without any networking capabilities. In Putty, I am entering the IP and selecting SSH and port 22. I just get a connection timed out message.

On a side note, what would be the proper procedure to revert OMV to a pre-Clonezilla install (i.e. revert the changes made by clicking "Install Clonezilla" under OMV-Extras? Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, all my equipment have static IPs set by DHCP in the router.

Is your static DHCP set by hostname or mac address? If it is just hostname, then this will fail since it changes to clonezilla.

So Clonezilla does load, but I need to set the above (and a few more screens) every time I reboot into it. Again, this is when connecting a monitor/keyboard to the server. Even after that, I still cannot establish an SSH connection. To me it seems like Clonezilla is booting without any networking capabilities. In Putty, I am entering the IP and selecting SSH and port 22. I just get a connection timed out message.

Since newer Clonezilla ISO force you to manaully configure the networking, I have not been able to upgrade the version of Clonezilla that omv-extras uses. Unfortunately, this means that newer hardware will probably not be supported (especially newer motherboards and/or network adapters). What hardware are you using?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Zitat von ryecoaaron

Is your static DHCP set by hostname or mac address?

All set by mac address.

Zitat von ryecoaaron

What hardware are you using?

This could be the issue. I am running OMV on a PowerEdge T30 server with Xeon 1225v5 (Skylake, LGA1151) and 16GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This could be the issue. I am running OMV on a PowerEdge T30 server with Xeon 1225v5 (Skylake, LGA1151) and 16GB ECC RAM.

I am sure that system (skylake board and NIC) is too new for the old clonezilla image. I tried getting the new Clonezilla images to work completely headlessly but never succeeded.

• Thanks for your assistance @ryecoaaron!

I guess I can use a Clonezilla Live USB whenever needed and just use the backup plugin for monthly backups to a folder.

What steps should I take to revert the Clonezilla installation (i.e. revert the changes made by clicking "Install Clonezilla" under OMV-Extras), including the grub changes?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What steps should I take to revert the Clonezilla installation (i.e. revert the changes made by clicking "Install Clonezilla" under OMV-Extras), including the grub changes?

rm /etc/grub.d/42_clonezilla
    rm /boot/clonezilla*.iso
    update-grub

• I've download the iso to my Windows box, used some tool to extract the necessary files from the container (can't remember anymore which one but I believe 7-zip will do) and edited them (if you use Notepad, make sure the encoding you save with is not ANSI). Then put the files back into the iso container. The rest I've described in the other post.

Good luck

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!