drdy err dying drive, where to from here?

• Hi all,
    I've used OMV for many years, frankly it's the most stable thing i've ever used (as you can see by my post count of about 3).
    However its started to play up, slow transfer of large files, backups failing and it REALLY doesn't like being restarted.

Until i actually went into my garage and hooked a screen up to it i didn't understand waht was going on.

i'm getting these errors (see screenshot)

My setup is:

intel Atom running 0.5.30 Sardaukar
    One crappy 80gb drive with OMV on
    One 2Tb WD drive with all the data on formatted as ext4

So i think (please tell me if i'm wrong!) my data drive is about to die a horrible death.
    I've purchased a new drive and i have a backup of my data that is a few months old (missing about 200gb of family photos and recorded tv)

but! I don't know how to swap the drives over, can you advise.

I'm ok with ssh, but i'm a novice on linux.
    I've run fsck multiple times which fixes things but doesn't seem to stop the errors.

As i understand it i have a few options:

install the new drive, make it a mirror set and hope for the best. then remove the old disk and....not sure

mount the new drive on my desktop (ubuntu) copy the data manually over from the backup), manually copy over the missing files from omv and hope for the best then...not sure

some other magic linux command which will migrate my data...

thanks for reading!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like the drive is on its last breath. I would use clonezilla to clone the old data drive to the new data drive. OMV won't even know the drive changed. If the new drive is bigger, you can resize the partition using systemrescuecd or gpared live to use the rest of the space.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• as aaron wrote. There are no magic unix commands, but you can try with clonezilla with OMV beeing offline.

To use clonezilla you may want to download the SystemRescueCD, boot from it and run the job. You need to attache the new drive and the old drive to the same system and then let clonezilla do its job.

Another tool, that can do the job is rsync. The issue with rsync is, that it does not clone a drive or a partition and thus you have the problem of getting the new drive integrated into your OMV.

If I understood correct, you have a valid backup of that drive, so your worst case would be. Putting in a new drive into OMV, and then recreating the partition and binding it to the same export. Then restoring everything.

To protect your data in the future against hardware failures, you may want to consider RAID1 (Mirror) or snapraid-plugin.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• thank you both for your info,
    I used clonezilla and went hdd to hdd

unforutnatly it failed, but at least most of the directory structure was copied.
    files, while there, don't run. i'm currently overwriting with the files from my backup.

looks like I lost a few pictures from my camera phone that i recently replaced, but other than that i havn't lost too much.

for raid'ing my motherboard only has 2 sata ports, one is used for the OS, also the single pci slot has a gigabit network card in it.

for the expense (of going to raid) it's not really worth it, though i should backup to cold sotrage a bit more often than every 6 months!
    live and learn i guess.

thanks again for your help...

• glad you found a working way :)

Before you restore files, I recommend to recreate the filesystem with the current UUID. Cause now you have a filesystem table and have no real idea which files are there, and which files are broken from the clonezilla process. So the whole thing is not trustworthy.

So from command line you could run the following command:

To find out the current UUID of your partition run the following command:

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# cat /etc/fstab
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    UUID=ec1576a1-90c8-47a5-bd11-f5bf89dee05e /media/ec1576a1-90c8-47a5-bd11-f5bf89dee05e ext4 defaults,nouser_xattr,noatime,data=writeback,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0 0 2
    # <<< [openmediavault]

The cryptic number after your UUID is the UUID of the filesystem.

Taking that example the following command creates a filesystem with exactly this UUID:

Code
    mke2fs -t ext4 -U "ec1576a1-90c8-47a5-bd11-f5bf89dee05e" /dev/sdx1

Now you have an empty ext4 again and can restore everything from your backup. If it would be me, I would choose that way instead of a corrupted clonezilla with a restore on top of it.

• if my backup was recent i would go that way for sure.
    but the thought of having to find 6 months of certain ahem public domain dvds and tv shows.
    not to mention 'some' of my childs photos that arn't on the backup work. just not all of them. I'm not ready to throw them away just yet

i'm trying to work out how to expand the files system now..i think i'm missing something because when i select the drive and choose resize from the filesystem group. it gives me a

Zitat

Do you really want to resize the selected filesystem? You have to do that after a RAID has been grown for example.

message, i click yes and nothing happens...

• As the message says. Have you increased the partition size of your data partition? Before you can increase the filesystem size, that has to be done.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!