[How to] Install OMV on Pogoplug Classic (POGO-E02)

• (NOTE: It seems the Debian installation script has been changed. My procedure outlined below is not sufficient to give you a successful installation of Debian and OpenMediaVault on your PogoPlug. You may want to check out cadre's superb documentation of his experiences.)

(Just realized there are two forums. It's quite confusing. This message was posted on SourceForge forum.)

Recently I acquired a cheap Pogoplug Classic (POGO-E02). The built-in software on it requires you to everything through its web site, which I am not fond of doing and want to control it on my local network. I tried Amahi and OpenMediaVault on it, and found even though OpenMediaVault is still at early development stage, it is already more usable than Amahi. Here is my record of how to install OpenMediaVault on Pogoplug Classic. Hopefully other Pogoplug owners can find it helpful.

Kochin

==========================================================================

First, we need to do some preparation on the Pogoplug.

• All the steps require SSH access into your Pogoplug. By default the SSH is disabled, so you must go to my.pogoplug.com to register and activate your device. Once that is done and you are logged in, click on your account tab on the top of the page and select "Settings" and then "Security" from the left menu. Now you can enable the SSH access and change password.[/*]
    • Find out the IP address of your Pogoplug from your router's attached devices list. Sign in your Pogoplug via SSH:

Code
      $ ssh root@<Pogoplug's IP address>

• (Don't really need this because the script below will kill hbwd for you.) After SSH in, the first thing you do should be killing Pogoplug service:

Code
      $ killall hbwd

That will stop it from calling home.

Next, we start installing Debian Linux onto a USB drive.

• Remove any USB flash drives from your Pogoplug, then plug only one USB drive of at least 1GB into the USB port next to the network port.
    • Partition your USB flash drive into 2 partitions.

Code
      $ fdisk /dev/sda

Partition 1 of at least 512MB is for Debian Linux, and partition 2 of recommended 256MB is for swap.

• Now we will download and run Debian Squeeze (stable) installer:

Code
      $ cd /tmp
      $ wget http://projects.doozan.com/debian/dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh
      $ chmod +x dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh
      $ export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin
      $ ./dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh

(You could try the Debian Wheezy (testing) installer by replacing "dockstar.debian-squeeze.sh" with "kirkwood.debian-wheezy.sh", but the script failed on my Pogoplug with a message "Kernel too old" in the log.)
      The installation process takes a while. Once it's done, you will be asked to reboot.

• After rebooted, you SSH in as root using the default password "root". You may need to clear your ~/.ssh/known_hosts file or your SSH client may refuse to connect.
    • After logged in, you should change the root user's password and modify /etc/apt/sources.list to a Debian mirror near you.

Code
      # passwd
      # vi /etc/apt/sources.list

Your sources.list file should have a line similar to this:

Code
      deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main

• One thing you might want to do is upgrade packages to the newest release.

Code
      # apt-get update
      # apt-get upgrade

We are now ready to install OpenMediaVault.

• Add OpenMediaVault's repository to apt's sources list directory.

Code
      # vi /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list

Enter this line into the end of the file:

Code
      deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public omnius main

The newer fedaykin release is unfortunately not compatible with Debian Squeeze due to a dependency, so please stick to omnius release.

• In order to install packages from OpenMediaVault's repository, you need to add its archive key into apt:

Code
      # apt-get update
      # apt-get install openmediavault-keyring

You can check the key is indeed installed in apt.

Code
      # apt-key list

To refresh package lists with this newly added key, run this command:

Code
      # apt-get update

• During the installation of OpenMeidaVault, there will be some configurations require user interactions. To assist the process, it's better to install whiptail package ahead of time if it's not already installed.

Code
      # apt-get install whiptail

You might also want to install tmux package so that you can continue session if disconnected.

Code
      # apt-get install tmux
      # tmux

• And now, install OpenMediaVault from the repository:

Code
      # apt-get install openmediavault

It will take quite a while for apt-get to retrieve and install all the required packages. During the process you are required to answer some questions for configurations, so don't wonder too far away.

• Once the installation finishes, you won't have access via SSH after you log out the current session because by default OpenMediaVault doesn't enable any services. You will need to use your browser to visit your Pogoplug's IP address and sign in as "admin" with password "openmediavault".
    • There are several things you need to do first time you log in the OpenMediaVault Web Administration.

• In System/General Settings, change your Web Administrator Password.
      • In System/Date & Time, set your Time Zone and whether to Use NTP server.
      • In System/Network/Interfaces, edit your network interface and click OK to make sure it's properly configured. Otherwise, the network interfaces won't show up in Diagnostics/System Information/Interfaces.
      • In Services, you can consider to enable whatever services you need.

NOTE:

• Trying to dist-upgrade to 0.4.x got openmediavault package being kept back. It is due to one of the dependencies, xmlstarlet (>= 1.3.1) can't be satisfied. The version in Debian Squeeze is 1.0.2-1. The newer version of xmlstarlet is currently in Debian unstable branch.

REFERENCES:

OpenMediaVault 7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) :thumbup:
    HARDWARE: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 | SYSTEM: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) aarch64

KERNEL: Linux 6.1.21-v8+ | PROCESSOR: BCM2835 (4) @ 1.500GHz | MEMORY: 4GB | STORAGE: MicroSD 60GB + HDD 6TB
    PLUGINS: nut, omvextrasorg, backup, compose, cputemp, flashmemory, kernel, remotemount, sharerootfs

DOCKER: nginx proxy manager, pi-hole, wireguard, transmission

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von kochin ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I thought about trying that with my Dockstar and Pogoplug. Might be able to use the Raspberry Pi packages since Debian is installed. Here is the RPi thread.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you want to upgrade your installation to OpenMediaVault 0.4.0.x, here is the procedure for that:

• Since OpenMediaVault 0.4.0.x requires xmlstarlet version 1.3.1 or greater and Debian Squeeze repository only has older version 1.0.2, we need to download and install the newer version from Debian Wheezy.

Code
      # wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xmlstarlet/xmlstarlet_1.3.1-3_armel.deb
      # dpkg -i xmlstarlet_1.3.1-3_armel.deb

That will replace xmlstarlet_1.0.2-1 with xmlstarlet_1.3.1-3.

• We now want to let apt use OpenMediaVault fedaykin repository.

Code
      # vi /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list

Change the word omnius to fedaykin, and the result should be

Code
      deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public fedaykin main

• Let apt proceed with dist-upgrade after it updates its package list.

Code
      # apt-get update
      # apt-get dist-upgrade

You might see some warnings regarding libxml version. They can be safely ignored.

• Restart your Pogoplug.

Code
      # reboot

Once it's up and running, log in its Web Administration to check.

Kochin

OpenMediaVault 7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) :thumbup:
    HARDWARE: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 | SYSTEM: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) aarch64

KERNEL: Linux 6.1.21-v8+ | PROCESSOR: BCM2835 (4) @ 1.500GHz | MEMORY: 4GB | STORAGE: MicroSD 60GB + HDD 6TB
    PLUGINS: nut, omvextrasorg, backup, compose, cputemp, flashmemory, kernel, remotemount, sharerootfs

DOCKER: nginx proxy manager, pi-hole, wireguard, transmission

• Installing OMV broke because collectd could not restart during install. With the following message:

UPDATED:
    The funny thing is if the daemon is stopped and started with stop/start command everything is fine, it's just restart that doesn't work.
    This post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1497388 suggest to out comment the line
    check_config "Not restarting collectd." in /etc/init.d/collectd. But my clever friend guided me to set the hostname in /etc/hosts and collectd is now restarting like a charm. Here is my hosts file:

Code
    root@debian:~# cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1	localhost
    192.168.1.115 debian
    ::1		localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0		ip6-localnet
    ff00::0		ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1		ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2		ip6-allrouters

Cheers,
    Emil Kjer

• After some struggling with the dpkg error I got it to work (so far) on a GoFlexHome. It seems to run fairly fast (acceptable anyway).

I did have a problem with step 2. I couldn't get the omv key to install. I instead had to use the following command

Code
    wget -O - http://packages.openmediavault.org/public/archive.key | apt-key add -

instead of

Code
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring

That I found on the omv forum at http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=507

Thanks for this how to. Getting Arch Linux off the GoFlex Home and running debain with openmediavault is a 1000% improvement.

:D:D:D:D

• I'm having a problem with the plugins. There is nothing listed under plugins and when I click on check I get the following error. I have the same problem with both omnius (.3) and fedaykin (.4). Is there something I need to change / add in one of the repository config files to get it to work?

Update: Problem solved
    Found this at http://sourceforge.net/apps/ph…topic.php?f=2&t=703#p3714 that fixed the problem.

• Zitat von "maihoaomv"

I'm having a problem with the plugins. There is nothing listed under plugins and when I click on check I get the following error. I have the same problem with both omnius (.3) and fedaykin (.4). Is there something I need to change / add in one of the repository config files to get it to work?

Update: Problem solved
    Found this at http://sourceforge.net/apps/ph…topic.php?f=2&t=703#p3714 that fixed the problem.

I am a newbie, both to OMV, Debian, and forums.
    I followed the installation procedure in this thread and on the second try all worked well (boots, I can get to the management page, etc)
    except that I am getting the error quoted above. I tried the solution link provided:
    "http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/openmediavault/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=703#p3714"
    but the *link* did not work for me. I dug around and I think I found it in this forum, but the "solution"
    doesn't make sense to me (the newbie effect).
    Can someone do a little hand-holding and tell me what the fix is? It is probably right in front of my nose...

Thanks!
    Rodger

• 0.4.8(Fedaykin)

I was just thinking of using the update manager to go to 0.4.10, but I didn't see any indication in the blog that something like this was addressed.

Thanks for the reply!
    Rodger

• Use nano and tell me what the contents of this file say:

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list

commands:
    cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d
    nano openmediavault.list

then you will see contrents

hold CTRL and press x to exit

• For some reason the forum is flagging my attempts to post as spam. I am figuring out the forum tool as I go...

I am wondering if my source lists may be wrong or incomplete. This is something I find confusing with Debian and more specifically with OMV that works on pogo plug.
    I don't understand the relationship of /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d
    my guess is that /etc/apt/sources.list is where you put the download sites for debian proper and then /etc/apt/sources.list.d
    is where you put sites for special distributions or special packages?
    I don't know and finding an explanation relevant to OMV on pogoplug has been challenging.
    I could be going into the weeds on this.

Currently, /etc/apt/sources.list contains:

Code
    deb http://cdn.debian.net/debian squeeze main

Also: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ contains:
    openmediavault-local.list which contans:

Code
    deb file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives /

and
    openmediavault.list which contains:

Code
    deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public fedaykin main

Do these look all right to you?
    Am I "barking up the wrong tree"?

NOTE: I am still shying away from upgrading to 0.4.10 until I figure this out.

Thanks!
    Rodger

• I apologize for the slow responses. I thought a reload of the forum page would show me your messages.
    I think I get it (using the forum tool) now.

Executed the commands you suggested:

root@OpenMediaVault:~# apt-get install xmlstarlet
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    xmlstarlet is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    root@OpenMediaVault:~# service apache2 restart
    Restarting web server: apache2 ... waiting .
    root@OpenMediaVault:~#

restarted the OS. I am still getting this when I System --> Plugins --> failure details:

Error #4000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C;sudo dpkg-query --list openmediavault-*': ' in /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/plugin.inc:186
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: PluginRpc->getList(Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(265): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(98): OMVRpc::exec('Plugin', 'getList', Array)
    #3 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(44): OMVJsonRpcServer->handle()
    #4 {main}

• Do this in command line:

apt-get install postfix

Also, do you have your router's ip in System/Network/DNS Server in omv gui?
    If not put it in there and click on ok.

We are going thru things that should be done. This will not necessarily fix but needs to be done.

• Ok, I'm pretty sure you need a higher version of xmlstarlet. Run this command and tell me the version of xmlstarlet that is installed. If that is the issue we will probably have to adjust your debian repo temporarily to upgrade it.

dpkg -s xmlstarlet

This is the version you need: 1.3.1-3~bpo60+1

• I *think* this indicates I have the correct version:

root@OpenMediaVault:~# dpkg -s xmlstarlet
    Package: xmlstarlet
    Priority: optional
    Section: text
    Installed-Size: 407
    Maintainer: Mònica Ramírez Arceda <monica@debian.org>
    Architecture: armel
    Version: 1.3.1-3
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libxml2 (>= 2.7.4), libxslt1.1 (>= 1.1.25)
    Description: command line XML toolkit
    XMLStarlet is a set of command line utilities (tools) which can be used to
    transform, query, validate, and edit XML documents and files using simple set
    of shell commands in similar way it is done for plain text files using
    UNIX grep, sed, awk, diff, patch, join, etc commands.
    This set of command line utilities can be used by those who deal with many XML
    documents on UNIX shell command prompt as well as for automated XML processing
    with shell scripts.
    The toolkit's feature set includes options to:
    Check or validate XML files (simple well-formedness check, DTD, XSD, RelaxNG)
    Calculate values of XPath expressions on XML files (such as running sums, etc)
    Search XML files for matches to given XPath expressions
    Apply XSLT stylesheets to XML documents (including EXSLT support, and passing
    parameters to stylesheets)
    Query XML documents (ex. query for value of some elements of attributes,
    sorting, etc)
    Modify or edit XML documents (ex. delete some elements)
    Format or "beautify" XML documents (as changing indentation, etc)
    Fetch XML documents using http:// or ftp:// URLs
    Browse tree structure of XML documents (in similar way to 'ls' command for
    directories)
    Include one XML document into another using XInclude
    XML c14n canonicalization
    Escape/unescape special XML characters in input text
    Print directory as XML document
    Convert XML into PYX format (based on ESIS - ISO 8879), and vice versa
    Homepage: http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/
    root@OpenMediaVault:~#

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!