How to change user name admin?

• Dear all,

Is it possible to change the username admin to a different name?

If answer is yes, please could you let me know how to do this?

Would it also be possible to have this user in the authentication logs, at moment the logs don't show when admin logs in.

If answer is yes, please could you let me know how to do this?

Any help much appreciated.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm really sorry if I don't explain as good as you would like... :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope, not possible.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The admin user is hardcoded, therefore it is not possible to change it.

No idea about the authentication log.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks for the very fast replies,
    I was wondering about how to track if the user admin is logged in my system?

You see I am a bit worried about security, the user name is already known and no way to track any logins for this user, right?
    What if one day I login and all my event log files are empty... Is this an error of the system, or somebody removing traces of his visit.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm really sorry if I don't explain as good as you would like... :)

• With OpenMediaVault Kralizec there is a new feature which blocks the login for 180 seconds after three false logins.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Wabun"

Thanks for the very fast replies,
    I was wondering about how to track if the user admin is logged in my system?

You see I am a bit worried about security, the user name is already known and no way to track any logins for this user, right?
    What if one day I login and all my event log files are empty... Is this an error of the system, or somebody removing traces of his visit.

I don't see how changing the username "admin" affects security.

Set a good strong password, for both root and admin, and there's no need to worry.

Code
    Aug  8 19:57:01 openmediavault sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)

It looks like this entry in the authentication log might log the user admin

• I do understand that a good password is trivial, but when the attacker doesn't now the user name it is even better!
    I use the rsyslog facility and looking in the logs, there is no way i see admin has logged in [System logs in the GUI]

Thanks but words like it looks like and might log is not really strong wording to convince me :)

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

With OpenMediaVault Kralizec there is a new feature which blocks the login for 180 seconds after three false logins.

Greetings
    David

Hi David,
    Still on 0.5.54, is this Kralizec based on Debian 7 Wheezy?
    That sounds as a good feature to me.

• Yup, its based on Debian Wheezy.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you open it up to the internet use one of the openvpn plugins. Also, you should learn to use the firewall.

I just don't see how changing the name "admin" enhances security. Knowing the username is only half the battle, and lets face it.. if they have physical access to a linux machine.. figuring out usernames is not difficult if they know their way around safe mode. Some people just want the ability to change absolutely everything, whether it makes sense or not. All the while failing to realize that sometimes that can create a support nightmare (and then they will naturally complain about support.

This suggestion seems like a solution to a nonexistent (maybe even imaginary) problem.

• Just came in here to say "thank you very much" to the moderators and (presumably) developers, for making the selection of a software-based NAS solution far easier than it was.

Hard-coding of any credentials, including username, evaporated in the very early '80s. Following it up with the attitude of "no, can't be changed, whatever you're thinking you're wrong" proves not that your development path is robust and proven, but that you feel your pride is being challenged when someone presents a reasonable expectation.

Congratulations on creating the NAS version of Wordpress - very pretty for users who know absolutely nothing about computers, but atrociously insecure and inflexible for those who actually value their data.

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema geschlossen.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Just came in here to say "thank you very much" to the moderators and (presumably) developers, for making the selection of a software-based NAS solution far easier than it was.

Hard-coding of any credentials, including username, evaporated in the very early '80s. Following it up with the attitude of "no, can't be changed, whatever you're thinking you're wrong" proves not that your development path is robust and proven, but that you feel your pride is being challenged when someone presents a reasonable expectation.

Congratulations on creating the NAS version of Wordpress - very pretty for users who know absolutely nothing about computers, but atrociously insecure and inflexible for those who actually value their data.

You are welcome to contribute an improvement.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!