General Questions about Debian / OMV versions / Kernel

• A backport is a something new that is ported back to an older system.

In this example, the kernel has been backported from a newer Debian release to the old Squeeze release.

Hello,

i´m quit new with all this linux stuff and NAS Systems based on it. Within the last days i´m still configuring my OMV (sorry, i don´t want to disturb your discussion at this point, but i need to ask this) ..and of cause i have some problems and questions as well :) I´m a bit confused with all this versions, kernels and so on but i could say, that i´m a kind of an "update junkie" so it might be, that i could solve my problems with updating the system..!? Squeeze, Whezzy, Jessi... debian 6 and 7 backports kernel....

I installed the OMV using the latest Image last weekend. As far as i understand this runs under debian 6 (Squeeze, Whezzy, Jessi ???) OMV 0.5.53 !? ok, OMV extras is installed... there is a button and i could install Backports 3.2 kernel.. What is this ? is it debian 7 (Squeeze, Whezzy, Jessi ?) with OMV 0.5.53 installing this... will this destroy my current setup ? Could it be that afterwards all my Plugins are not running again ? (Plex, OC, Exrplorer) what about the Data Access.. on my HDD´s ? I had also already problems with the general OMV Setup, GRUB Loader is not installed but the other one... LIMS !? or so.. sorry, but all this is a bit confusing.. is there someone who will be able to explain me a bit and clarify this new stuff (for me) ? By the way.. at the moment it seems that everything is running more or less....

Thanks in advance and greetings from Germany :)

Asus Z97M-Plus / Intel Core i5 / 16 GB RAM / System: 120 GB Intel SSD / RAID 1 - 2 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VN000 / USB Backup HDD - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop STCA4000200

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    Kernel 4.19.0.0 bpo4 - amd64
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• Debian 6 has the codename Squeeze. Thats what OpenMediaVault 0.5 (Codename Sardaukar) is based on.
    Debian 7 has the codename Wheezy. OpenMediaVault 1.0 (Codename Kralizec) will be based on this distribution.

The kernel is basicly a feature and driver set. So with a newer kernel you can get more drivers, support for new features and in some cases a speed increase for some services.

Debian 6 uses Kernel 2.6. Debian 7 uses Kernel 3.2. The Kernel 3.2 is also available as a backport for Debian 6, so it can be installed there too.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi David,

thanks for explaining.

It looks like that i have installed Sardaukar. Is Wheezy already available and if yes is it more or less stable and do you suggest to install it ?
    Will it be easy to update Sardaukar => Wheezy ?

Or do you suggest to install Backport 3.2 on Sardaukar (Will this be the only way to update everything at the moment in case that Wheezy is still not available / not suggested to install because still in testing / instable?)

Thanks and Greetings

Andre

Asus Z97M-Plus / Intel Core i5 / 16 GB RAM / System: 120 GB Intel SSD / RAID 1 - 2 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VN000 / USB Backup HDD - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop STCA4000200

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• OMV 1.0 is very stable, yes. But it is not public, yet. I do not recommend it to install.

When you upgrade, you upgrade
    1. The OperatingSystem from Debian Squeeze to Debian Wheezy AND
    2. The Openmediavault Version from 0.5.X (Sardaukar) to 1.0.X (Kralizec)

It will be easy to upgrade to Wheezy and OMV 1.0, as soon as the Version will be published by Volker.

Installing the Backports 3.2 Kernel on Sardaukar is suggested, as it comes with newer drivers for some hardware.

• Ok, thanks...

i will install Backports 3.2 today.. maybe this solves my problem with the network driver and some other problems

Any idea when Wheezy will be released ?

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok, thanks...

i will install Backports 3.2 today.. maybe this solves my problem with the network driver and some other problems

Any idea when Wheezy will be released ?

Wheezy is already released. The version of OMV that runs on Wheezy (Kralizec) has not been released yet. Volker is just working out the final kinks. If you upgrade to the 3.2 kernel.. from a hardware standpoint, you will be using Wheezy (the kernel is what has all drivers, controls how the OS works w/ hardware, etc..)

• i will install Backports 3.2 today..

Don't do it, if you don't need to. ;) When your hardware is working, there is no need a backport-kernel. So it depends on your hardware. Take a look at mine. My HP Microserver Gen7 works without problems. If I would buy a HP Microserver Gen8 I would need backport-kernels on OMV 0.5.

• Well, i would like to know when the hole package will be released... Wheezy incl. Kralizec

It doesn´t make sense to install Wheezy (also if it runs stable already) and Kralizec is not working perfectly.
    I want to work with OMV and this has to run stable first.

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• I want to work with OMV and this has to run stable first.

OMV 0.5 is very stable. So there will be no 0.6 - we're going to OMV 1.0. So you can install 0.5 without problems. If you want to wait, you've just to wait some weeks.

I'm trusting OMV. I got more than 70.000 images on that - it's my archive! So it has to be stabel for me! :D

• Don't do it, if you don't need to. ;) When your hardware is working, there is no need a backport-kernel. So it depends on your hardware. Take a look at mine. My HP Microserver Gen7 works without problems. If I would buy a HP Microserver Gen8 I would need backport-kernels on OMV 0.5.

I have a Asus Board H87I Plus with an Intel I3 running, 8 GB RAM and a 160 GB SATA Drive (System) 2 x 4 TB Segate Data HDD`S ST4000VN000 in Mirror

I had problems directly first time installing the network card Intel I217 this was the only problem with the hardware. my solution to solve this problem..
    modprobe an older driver in the rc.local. this works more or less good... but the network traffic seems to be very slow.

Some other problems with share rights / CIFS shares... but this is software related..

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• OMV 0.5 is very stable. So there will be no 0.6 - we're going to OMV 1.0. So you can install 0.5 without problems. If you want to wait, you've just to wait some weeks.

I'm trusting OMV. I got more than 70.000 images on that - it's my archive! So it has to be stabel for me! :D

I think i´m gonna install the Backport today and hopefully this solves my networt card driver problem.If i still have to wait a few weeks until Wheezy with Kralizec comes out.. i will wait :)

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• The new Intel-NICs are known to cause problems. So you got a reason to go to backport-kernel. ;)

:) i will let you know if this solved my problem...

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• Good Morning,

well, i installed Backports 3.2. yesterday evening and everything worked fine. Checking the version of the included Intel Network Driver within the 3.2 showed version 2.x so i decided to change this and replace it with the actual Intel Driver 3.x everything fine ! I guess that the problem with not recognizing the driver installed before the Backport Installation (which i solved with modprobe in the rc.local) is also solved, because the usage of rc.local is not needed anymore.

Great support guys, thank you, problem solved, and now i´m a bit wiser then before :)

Thread can be closed here (but this does not mean, that i´m not going to have more questions in the near future ;)

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• Just a little lookout for the future:
    Kralizec will come with Wheezy and with the kernel 3.2 already installed.

BUT: You also can install a backports kernel with kralizec. Then you will have the backports 3.14 kernel which should support your intel network card ootb. ;)

• I really looking forward to the release of "Kralizec with Wheezy and with the kernel 3.2 already installed" :) at the moment everything runs quit stable, so that there is no need to install the Backports Kernel with Kralizec.

Everything looks quit good, i would like to have a "in-Shell" Plugin which was quit usefull in the past (i´m coming from freenas) this makes it easier to administrate the system instead of configuring a remote ssh connection using putty, dyndns and everthing from my work computer in the office. Just login into the webfrontend, using the shell plugin and everything is fine :)

By the way.. i changed from Freenas to OMV because i was not able to backup the data to my external connected USB drive. this is one of the main features because i did the change. (this is still not configured / used (because i´m still copying the Data back to my OMV HDD´s. i´m looking forward to configure and test this feature.

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

• shellinabox is was you're looking for.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Any Link to a stable version ?

i also would like to have a script / feature which informs in case of a higher temperature CPU / HDDS maybe Fan Speed.. any ideas ?

OMV - Arrakis 4.1.22.1
    PHP 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!