Alternative to OpenVPN

• Hi,

i'am running my OMV with the openvpn Plugin and it works well. Now i need connections for 5 clients and this costs money (2 free clients). The price of the additional clients is increased (1. Aug) to nearly $10.00 (before $5.00) and a minimum purchase of 10 clients for one year. It's to much... (i know its worth!)

I'am searching for a free vpn solution which is running with OMV. Found this: http://www.howtogeek.com/51237…pn-pptp-server-on-debian/ looks interesting.

What is the best solution to running a free vpn server (no limit of clients) on OMV?

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As far as I know, the openmediavault-openvpnas plugin has the limit. The openmediavault-openvpn plugin does not have the limit. Which one are you using?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• i believe PPTP is broken..
    this is from wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P…-Point_Tunneling_Protocol

• I wouldn't use PPTP.

On OpenVPN Access Server:
    Those are 2 concurrent clients. Do you need more then 2 people connecting at the same time?? You can have 5 people connecting but not at once. Only 2 people can be connecting at the same time.

• Just use the OpenVPN Plugin instead of the OpenVPNAS Plugin if you need more than 2 concurrent connections. Just needs a bit more to setup... using PPTP instead is just wrong, and broken too.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• As far as I know, the openmediavault-openvpnas plugin has the limit. The openmediavault-openvpn plugin does not have the limit. Which one are you using?

I'am using the openvpnnas plugin 1.0.3 Where can i get the openvpn plugin? I cant find it in the plugin directory...

Zitat

Those are 2 concurrent clients. Do you need more then 2 people connecting at the same time?? You can have 5 people connecting but not at once. Only 2 people can be connecting at the same time.

Yes, i know but this is the problem. Sometimes more than 2 clients are connecting the OMV via vpn. In the worse case i have 5 clients connected at the same time.

Zitat

Just use the OpenVPN Plugin instead of the OpenVPNAS Plugin if you need more than 2 concurrent connections. Just needs a bit more to setup... using PPTP instead is just wrong, and broken too.

I will try to install the openvpn plugin. Where is a download for this?

Thanks to all!

• Both OpenVPNAS and OpenVPN are in that repo.

Try to install via CLI:

apt-get install openmediavault-openvpn

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I forgot that the openvpn plugin is only in the kralizec-vpn repo.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• But according to his Screenshot he is using Kralizec?!

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can you tell? openmediavault-openvpnas-1.0.3 works on sardaukar as well. If the vpn repo is enabled, the openvpn plugin should show up (if running kralizec).

• Okay... I thought I clould trust that if its 1.0 for AS, its 1.0 for normal too.

My mistake.

Greetings
    David

• So, for me that means the openvpn is running with kralizec only?

Or is there a chance to install openvpn under sardaukar? I would not install openvpn if i'm not sure the plugin is running correctly.

The limitation of 2 clients (connection at the same time) is quit important and a problem for me. It's a "must" for this system to have more clients (very small company).

Greetings

P.S. Running with OMV 0.5.53 (Sardaukar)

OMV 3.0.96 (Erasmus)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Tuono63 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would say wait until Kralizec is released and upgrade to it. Then you can use the openvpn plugin.

• We have a specific date but it has yet to be announced.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!