Need guide setting up desktop environment on top of OMV

• Hi,

I am currently using a laptop as NAS machine but it would be best if it works as an emergency backup computer too.
    So I want to know if it is possible (since OMV is debian-based) to install a desktop environment on top of OMV. :)

Hardware configurations
    CPU: Intel Pentium T4400 @2.20 GHz
    RAM: 3GB
    HDD:350GB HGST Travelstar

Pretty much just an old laptop :D

• Installation of OpenMediaVault 1.x on Debian 7.x (Wheezy)

Pre-Requirements
    A installed Debian 7.x (Wheezy)
    If you want to do a fresh install, then use the Debian Wheezy 7.6 netinst image. Please make sure, that all options are unchecked, when asked for packages.

Install your preferred Desktop enviroment now

OMV-Install
    Install OMV on top of that by:

Code
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

Please restart your System with

Code
    shutdown -r now

and you should be able to login to OMV via you Browser with
    User: admin
    PW: openmediavault
    Please change your PW over the WebGUI after logging in.

Please read the Wiki

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can do this.. but honestly, the easiest thing is to just do a full install of Debian Wheezy Desktop Edition, then add OMV to that. While you can add a GUI to OMV.. I've done it before and it can be a bit tedius.

I wouldn't think Download speed would be affected.. but overall system performance might be affected (webUI response times, etc..) due to the fact the GUI processes will be taking up some of the CPU.

• Thanks!
    I wont be using it all the time anyways
    And any way to backup current config of OMV?

Hardware configurations
    CPU: Intel Pentium T4400 @2.20 GHz
    RAM: 3GB
    HDD:350GB HGST Travelstar

Pretty much just an old laptop :D

• Not yet. Easiest way is to backup your config.xml and look through it while configuring OMV again. After the reinstallation with detached drives, plug them in and just mount them again. Then you have to recreate the users and shares and reconfigure the services again. - thats all :)

• You can do this.. but honestly, the easiest thing is to just do a full install of Debian Wheezy Desktop Edition, then add OMV to that. While you can add a GUI to OMV.. I've done it before and it can be a bit tedius.

I'm planning to install it this way, once I have the Wheezy Desktop Edition running do i just need to install OMV on top like this?

Code
    Source Code
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

Is there an efficient way to "kill" the desktop enviroment when not used or just not start it untill need it?

Thanks!
    Rodo

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yup... That'll work fine.

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!