Backup Plugin: Restoring the backup

• Hi All,

I was hoping to get some advice on restoring a backup I made with the Backup plugin? I recently made the mistake of installing a large amount of files to the system drive and it filled up very fast. Consequently it broke a few things so I'm wanting to restore a backup I made to go back to how it was.

The backup plugin appears to cp the system drive file for file to a location of your choice, the problem is I can't find a way (other than complicated dd commands and rsync) to restore my OMV system drive with these files.

Is it possible somebody could give me some direction please? In hindsight it looks as though I should of run backup and pointed the destination to another drive. But what I did instead was set the destination to a raid I have on another server, making it difficult to boot into clonezilla and do a device-device restore.

Hopefully that's clear and I've not waffled on too much.

I'm on Kralizek if that helps =]

Many Thanks!

rcourtman

• Been trying to fix this all day but seems I've made a hash of it and now I can't boot into omv at all :/

I thought about it more this morning and I tried the following:

-Copying all the files from omvbackup to top directory of a freshly formatted ext4 USB
    -Booting into clonezilla cmd prompt, mounting both the system drive and my usb drive with backup on
    -rsync -avz --delete /mnt/sda1/ /mnt/sdb1/ (This seemed to work as it deleted all those extra files I talked about in the top post. So I thought I now had a system drive that replicated the backup I made
    -Now when I boot from system drive I get all kinds of errors and panics. From the looks of things it can't mount the system drive anymore?

I'm in above my head now and worrying I've lost my omv!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rl85tab6unm37ze/Screenshot 2014-08-30 14.07.47.png?dl=0

Perhaps the rsync has destroyed the sym links for initrd.img to the /boot? Update* Nope, the symlinks are all intact :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is the general description how to restore. Let me know if you need more help.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks ryecoaaron, this post has turned into one of those threads most role there eyes at, me included.

Before I work through these steps, is it safe to assume that the backup code in that thread you've linked to is the same code that generated my backup in the plugin? Only I chose the destination of my backup to a folder on my samba raid (EDIT* on a different server so I can still mount it), rather than a dedicated disk that just holds the backup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wrote the post and the plugin. So, you can be assured the methods are the same. You shouldn't need to run a script. Just try the following:

If you aren't replacing the system drive, just boot systemrescuecd.
    Mount the drive (or array) with the backup at /mnt/backup.
    Mount the system drive at /mnt/gentoo
    Then restore: rsync -aAXv /mnt/backup/shared_folder_name/* /mnt/gentoo/ --exclude=/lost+found (substitute shared_folder_name for actual folder)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I wrote the post and the plugin. So, you can be assured the methods are the same. You shouldn't need to run a script. Just try the following:

Then restore: rsync -aAXv /mnt/backup/shared_folder_name/* /mnt/gentoo/ --exclude=/lost+found (substitute shared_folder_name for actual folder)

Thanks. I've done this but unfortunately it doesn't advance me past the screenshot I posted above. I know the files are the same on my backup and destination, but I think there's some kind of mismatch in the uuids or something as it's not mounting the system properly.

tekkb you're not wrong.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This will sound weird but reinstall OMV on the system drive and then sync the backup over that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The original backup plugin was made before I figured out how to boot from the clonezilla iso one time. I leave the original part because I use it and like the fact that I can backup my system without rebooting. I also use clonezilla because it is a much better backup and backup method. I still want to add rear because it can backup while the system is running and creates recovery media for you

• I think the plugin's in a good place. I love that you can boot to clonezilla one time from the ui, perhaps it just needs an fyi in the initial backup section - that it's not the best method to restore from.

SO I've installed 0.5, and instead of running the updates/upgrade to 0.6 I was thinking the rsync would take care of that? Additionally do you think there are any other folders I should exclude? other than lost&found?

R

edit* Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda This is a fatal error - the i.t gods are agaisnt me today.

• Offizieller Beitrag

rsync should take care of the differences but I haven't tested that method.

How are you trying to reinstall grub? From systemrescuecd? If so, you need to mount /dev and /proc and chroot into the debian install to install grub. It is probably easier to boot the debian install disk and go into rescue mode.

• Zitat

I think the plugin's in a good place. I love that you can boot to clonezilla one time from the ui, perhaps it just needs an fyi in the initial backup section - that it's not the best method to restore from.SO I've installed 0.5, and instead of running the updates/upgrade to 0.6 I was thinking the rsync would take care of that? Additionally do you think there are any other folders I should exclude? other than lost&found?Redit* Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda This is a fatal error - the i.t gods are agaisnt me today.

did it work well for you? have same issues and fight with re-installing and syncing again...

• rsync should take care of the differences but I haven't tested that method.

How are you trying to reinstall grub? From systemrescuecd? If so, you need to mount /dev and /proc and chroot into the debian install to install grub. It is probably easier to boot the debian install disk and go into rescue mode.

Hi
    I tried installing from scratch, rebooted directly with systemrescuecd and synced from my backup files as sudo. after that I tried to reboot (what failed) and tried to revocer grub with "boot-repair-disk". the problem is, that I cannot login as root (when I type the username and hit enter, the system wants to login, what is not possible without sectet). some services -apache2, ftp, ssh,..- are not writeable any more.

don't know what to do.

I would be really happy for any suggestion.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would need to know the exact commands you used.

• I would need to know the exact commands you used.

thank you for your reply. meanwhile I found out, that the activated "webdav"-Plugin (that was acivated at last, before the update progress was startet) switched all user privileges to www-user - also for system folders and files. nothing worked any more as expected. I do not know yet, if the plugin messed up everything or the updateprocess that was not able to handle that all.

the result of that story is, that we hat to reinstall everything from scratch, because the backup was corruptet with all the wrong user privileges and was not usable any more. the data is ok :|

it cost me much of life-years and calories and I go to bed now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Webdav plugin? How did it have anything to do with this? The systembackup is not backed up to a shared folder.

• I wrote the post and the plugin. So, you can be assured the methods are the same. You shouldn't need to run a script. Just try the following:

I am new enough not to understand these instructions. What I did do was back-up to a shares data disc (so I can navigate the rsync -aAXv /media/UUID/shares/omvbackup/* to that source). How do I mount the (what is the?) system drive?

Alternatively, I'd rather just rsync everything back to where it was on the running system. What command would I use to achieve this (is the destination of the rsync command?):

This will sound weird but reinstall OMV on the system drive and then sync the backup over that.

BTW, to this noob Clonezilla looks involved and more trouble than simply writing over the fresh install.

Thanks.

OMV 4.1.8.2-1
    Rock64, 1Gb
    Logitech Media Server 7.9.2

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!