A history of failure

• Hi,

I just wanted to share my history of "recovering" a RAID5 volume which was degraded. I am using my NAS described in this post Homemade Home NAS - (Large pictures!)

So, some weeks ago as I was in holidays, I received a mail from my NAS telling me the RAID5 was clean but degraded maybe because of my /dev/sdh disk.

I verified this message on the OMV interface, confirmed something was bad and as I wanted not to continue in this state, I chose to shut the NAS down.
    Coming back from my holdays, I went to the computer store and bought a spare 3 To Seagate disk. At home, I plugged it on my NAS, booted my NAS and went on another computer in my house (my NAS dosen't have a screen attached to it).

I could no connect to the web interface. No success neither with the SSH... the NAS was not even pingable. I came back to my NAS, plugged a CRT screen to it.. but black screen. I changed the CRT screen with a recent one working I was sure to be working... still black screen.

Ok... I unplugged all my hdds, removed my two IBM RAID controllers and installed a PCIe graphic card instead of the very old Matrox Millunium. Still NOT BOOTING. Grrr...

My mainboard does have two ethernet interfaces. I noticed that neither the eth port of the mainboard nor the one on the eth switch was blinking! But it was ok if I changed to the second NIC interface on my mainboard... I started to worry about a electrical shock (even if all the stuff was plugged on my UPS).

My last effort was remove one of my RAM stick and...the computer booted. Ok, It was a RAM failure. I suppose no hdd was bad in fact. I started the recovering process of my RAID volume in the webinterface. I received the mail:

On my 7 x 3 Tb RAID5 setup, it took about 5 hours to rebuild the spare disk.

I changed the hdd order when I re-plugged them so the trouble is not wit /dev/sdh anymore.

So, everything ends well... Just remember that RAM sticks can fail! I'll check the "faulty" hdd but I'm almost certain it's fine.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!