• Currently more of a place holder than anything, going to document the build over the next few weeks, primary driver on when I get it done is availability of OMV 1.0 with ZFS support.. I've been running a 0.4 30TB ZFS setup for quite a while now but space is starting to get a bit tight so I am going to make the jump to a new X99 based ZFS setup with 100TB of raw storage, with 1.0 around the corner and formal ZFS support coming I thought it was time to make the jump to something more robust...

• Offizieller Beitrag

30tb setup.. and space is getting tight? I personally am looking forward to reading your progress. Even if you don't use OMV.. the hardware should be pretty impressive (and expensive!). I imagine ZFS support is a ways off for OMV.. so we'll see.

• I'm interested too how one can fill up 30TB - and I have around 12TB of Data already. ;)

What I don't understand is why you want to jump to 100TB right away and not go one array at a time? I.e.: (depending on your strategy now, could be way off the suggestion) Build two 20TB arrays now and if the 10TB are filled check again the prices on the 5 and 6TB drives, as they are way too expensive right now in my humble opinion.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I'm interested too how one can fill up 30TB - and I have around 12TB of Data already. ;)

What I don't understand is why you want to jump to 100TB right away and not go one array at a time? I.e.: (depending on your strategy now, could be way off the suggestion) Build two 20TB arrays now and if the 10TB are filled check again the prices on the 5 and 6TB drives, as they are way too expensive right now in my humble opinion.

Greetings
    David

Not hard to do if you collect HD movies and TV shows. I'd be in the same boat if I didn't settle with SD TV episodes and ~700MB 720p movies. I am filling up my 2x 2TB RAID1 arrays with both.

• Kinda on topic :S

Chuck the mkv movies you have into mkv toolbox and strip out the unused audio, you'll be surprised how much space a Spanish DTS-HD audio stream takes up.

If you could just go ahead and make a plugin for it, that'd be great.
    N54L/4GB/12TB

• Not hard to do if you collect HD movies and TV shows.

Trust me, I know. ;) The question is just how much does he collect. :D

"Chap" - My 15TB+ NAS

you'll be surprised how much space a Spanish DTS-HD audio stream takes up.

Maybe he likes spanish? ^^ Checking myself how much you could save with that... edit in around 10 mins

Edit:

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

• Maybe he likes spanish? ^^ Checking myself how much you could save with that... edit in around 10 mins

Edit:

14 % on 16 TB are around 2,25 TB. In my eyes - a no-brainer. What if you're girlfriend want's to learn Spanish? ;)

But back to topic:
    100 TB @ 99 % availability? Or are we discussing a archive, which will not run 24/7 or most of the day? First of all: I would grow too. Because costs per GB are decreasing by time. And when you're really need the last HDD in your rack, it's years old. And what about your 3:2:1-Backup-Strategy? Thought about it? :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!