WINE to run Windows application

• Hi,

I have just set up a home fileserver with OMV, it is working great! Quick question on plugins; note that I am very new to Linux.

There is a simple piece of Windows software that I previously ran on my old WinXP server, to automatically sync my local photo library with flickr. I'm wondering what the easiest way to get this running under OMV will be. Unfortunately there's no linux version of the software (http://www.picbackman.com) available, so I'm wondering if I could install WINE on OMV and then run this software using WINE? However, I'm not sure how I would access the GUI for this software then, as OMV seems to be command line only (excluding the web interface). The WINE page seemed to imply that I could maybe set up some kind of X Server on OMV and then access the GUI remotely, though I don't know exactly what this means.

Apologies if this doesn't make sense, as I'm still new to how this all works. If anybody is able to at least let me know if I'm on the right track, or completely off track, that would be greatly appreciated! Also, any thoughts on whether this is likely to be a straightforward task to achieve, or a huge pain, would also be appreciated.

Thanks very much

• It may be easier to look for a substitute software that does this natively under linux, preferable via CLI/Webinterface.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!