My NAS build with little hardware recommendation help needed

• I was searching around for home server options when I stumbled across NAS. I have always hosted files from my windows computer and ran media servers thru windows to stream videos for my PS3 but I kinda wanted something that I could just dump all my files, pictures, music and movies on. I installed nas4free at first and couldnt get it to play nicely with windows shares. I really dont know linux at all and have limited free time to learn it. So I tried freenas8 next and found everything to install good, windows shares worked good, but the WebUI was messed up on my iPad which i use for most of my stuff. So I stumbled across OpenMediaVault. Installed and all has been good ever since. Right now I have a 1tb drive and a 120 gig drive for storage. I am running OMV off a 36gig Raptor I had laying around. My current machine is an AMD A64 3200 with a gig of ram. I installed Plex Media server through terminal. My only problem is when I go to stream 720p, Im having issues with it freezing up after about 10 min of playing. I can only fast forward at 1.5x or else it freezes and then restarts. I am running everything through LAN at the moment. I havnt tried playing through my Roku but I have a feeling it will have the same results. My extra desktop is a Intel 2180 (2.0ghz) and 4 gigs of ram. I could reinstall on this, but I really dont want to build another desktop at the moment. I really dont have to much of a need for it since I have a fairly new Laptop but I could get rid of it if needed. What do you think? I am running OMV 3.1

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would guess you need a faster processor (or just more cores) because plex is probably transcoding the 720p video. I haven't had any issues with minidlna on an HP N40L but it is never transcoding (takes lot of power for HD movies).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• was the minidlna service not starting this might be because you need to create the folder which log files would be made in but the current version doesn't make any unsure why. but there is a thread on the forum on how to make the directory so the minidlna service will start and run correctly. sorry i don't know it off hand.

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• So I made the folder and now the service is running. Now I just need for my son to go to bed then we can try watching American Horror Story again. Do you think I could get by with getting another Dual Core chip instead? 1 gig of ram should be good enough right? This thing takes DDR. Which is fairly expensive now days.

• Glad thats got it working for you.

erm might be able to but it wont take much stress so if it starts juttering etc might need some more processing power etc.

if you have somthing better you can use great otherwise try a hp n40l they can be picked up quite cheep with the £100 cashback if its still on

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• what are you streaming to a console? if so it will be because of the file type as i dont think xbox or ps3 like MKVs most hd stuff comes in so you could allways try convert the videos beforehand witha 3rd party software on your pc

OMV 5 - 64 bit

• To answer your inital question:

Consider to get a HP Proliant Micro Server N40L. It will have a much lower power consumption and has a very decent performance. You can get Gbit Speed out of the box and also writing at that speeds is amazing.

And it ships for 180€ at online retailers - without disks. I also would recommend, that you get two 2TB Disks (or even better 4 :) ), to setup a good storage configuration, which is also protected against single disk error.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!