HPE Proliant Servers

• To clarify, I assume the boot problem is not just for SSD?

While I am wating for the delivery of may gen8, Whats the advantage of using a ssd instead of a standard hdd drive as the omv "base"? Is it that much faster?

• To clarify, I assume the boot problem is not just for SSD?

While I am wating for the delivery of may gen8, Whats the advantage of using a ssd instead of a standard hdd drive as the omv "base"? Is it that much faster?

The bootproblem is for HDD as well
    a SSD won't be faster for the Base.. But it will if you read or write..
    i use an old WD Raptor on it and everything runs fine too. i need my ssd in my htpc.

MSI B-250-DS3H-G4560 | some RAM | someTB WD red (snapraid) | OMV 5.x (latest) | DD Cine S2 V6.5

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only reason I use SSD is because I don't have to worry about mechanical wear (notice how I underlined that word). Even though it is still too early to know if they are in fact more reliable, I've been using the same SSD for 5 years now without an issue. I've already gone through a few HDDs belonging to the array within the same amount of time, so for me it works well.

Other benefits can be less power use, less heat and no added noise. Limited case space can be an issue with smaller setups, so using something like mSATA or M.2 drives is also a good idea. To each its own really, but I've had a good experience so far.

• Thanks for the quick replies, HP unfortunately delayed the delivery of the microserver for another week *sigh*

Ah, well, more time to prepare, then... :)

Currently I use a Buffalo NAS, which is pretty slow. I also use an old Intel Atom Zotac ZBOX with omv on a SD (yeah, I know) and a 2.5 drive as data storage for occasional additional backups, which runs like a charm and is pretty quick, too. Therefore, instead of buying a new NAS, I decided to do it properly and buy a proliant Microserver G1610T, ;)

The plan is to install omv to an unused 2.5 drive and two 3.5 drives for date storage, preferably as asoftware raid. I am not sure whether to just put it in bay 1 and let it boot from there or take the trouble and connect it via ODD. Right now, I can only see myself adding a third, bigger hdd as an additional, "stand alone" drive, without any raid functionality, if that is possible at all, so I do not need more than than 4 bays

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi Rushchi. Can you make me a screenshot of your current boot order while in RBSU? Also, have you tried changing the boot order with the server in the off state, and then change it with iLO? Include your System ROM (BIOS) version, and your iLO version as well when you reply.

• Changes can now be saved.. Thats ok..
    But Im not able to boot to HDD one time by boot override options.. I installed Debian normaly and inserted grub to the pimary Partition.. But it seems there is no bootloader on hdd

MSI B-250-DS3H-G4560 | some RAM | someTB WD red (snapraid) | OMV 5.x (latest) | DD Cine S2 V6.5

• If im in override options I try to choose 5) one time boot to HDD but System always grabs Network (NIC) :(
    P.S. My Setup Utility, Version 3.00

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well I need more info before I can give you any more help. Let's start with this:

1. Server model. I assume that this is a Microserver Gen8?
    2. BIOS version
    3. iLO firmware version. It should say something like iLO4 1.50, or iLO3 1.80.

If you have a Microserver Gen8, iLO4 is already embedded. And trust me, is the best thing we can use to troubleshoot your issue and allows full remote control of your server. iLO4 doesn't require any kind of 3rd party software. Just connect the Ethernet port labled iLO on your network, and when you boot the server again it should give you the iLO IP during POST. Use that IP in a web browser from any computer in your network and it will give you most of the information I need. If you need more info about it, here's a link:

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-e…t/emr_na-c03334051-11.pdf

• Offizieller Beitrag

On which SATA port is the boot drive connected?
    Also, could you please try to make a screenshot with your computer instead of your camera the next time? Sorry but is very hard to read the info with those shots. You can use the Snipping Tool that Windows has built-in to make the screenshots.

• Okay..
    The drive is connected to the sata Port for the ODD... I didnt change it because it worked the whole time before... May I use the other Port?!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The majority of this thread is the fact that once you add more than one drive, the ODD port is no longer a viable option to boot from with a hard drive. The reason is the over-simplified boot menu:

1- CD-ROM
    2- Hard Disk 1
    3- Network
    4- USB Drive

In this example, the BIOS will boot on that sequence regardless of where the drives or disks are. So for example, even if you have a drive on the ODD port but also there's a drive in any of the front bays, whichever is the first disk available in the bays will be the one and only attempt of booting. The ODD port enumeration is number 5 out of 5, so it would be the last and always superseded by any other hard drive. If you had an actual CD drive, it would be the first one to boot as suggested by the list even if it was one on a USB port or an ISO over iLO.

You will have to do what everyone has been doing, and that is to put a boot loader that points to your OMV drive in a microSD card or a USB drive, and make sure that USB is the first option on the boot sequence.

• I understand what u mean.. sounds logical.. absolutely.. the problem is.. I´m not sure if I had a drive in Bay 1 installed when I installed OMV 1 week ago.
    What I did on first installation last week.. I was able to boot Debian, installed OMV.. then restarted, put in my USB drive..

SSH to it and installed grub via SSH on USB drive.. I also was able to set the boot priority ..
    what I did:

1. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb count=1000
    2. cfdisk /dev/sdb
    3. mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
    4. mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/
    5. grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdb
    6. (hd0) /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_120GB_S1D5NSAF879821N
    (hd1) /dev/disk/by-id/usb-_Patriot_Memory_07B20A089449ACD8-0:0

7. grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdb
    8. grub-mkconfig -o /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Now the Problem is: If im not able to boot, i can´t install OMV.. So I can´t see the names of hd0, hd1, I can´t ssh to my usb drive.. I can´t set the boot sequence on usb drive. .. tricky..

P.S. I think this evening I will try to install OMV as standalone from SD Card.. Without Debian installation first..
    Then I should be able to ssh and set the boot priority on USB stick ?!

I installed omv again.. Now Im able to boot it but only on usb using external usb Station.. My Problem at the moment is that i dont get grub to boot the hdd...
    :mad:

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Ruschi ()

• Mmmh, I bough a odd frame that houses a 2.5 hdd and has the form and outside connectors of an odd drive, as suggested a few pages earlier in this thread.

Now I have seen an article about the gen8 Microsoverver and realized, apparently, that is has a normal SATA socket (no surprise) and something that looks like a floppy power plug?

I do also have an adapter to connect an ODD drive to "normal" sata, but with that I would still need another to "convert" the floppy power to a normal SATA power plug? Actually it might be easier to just leave out the odd frame, it wouldn't do anything apart from physically holding the 2.5 hdd in place.

Still, I do have to get another adapter? Or is at least something like a floppy to ODD-power adapter included with the server?

Spy Alelo
    BTW, the article is in the newest edition of c't, and it mentions the "boot-bug", maybe that is an additional motivation to your BIOS people to fix it?

• Was für ein boot Bug?!

That it does not boot from a ssd/hdd connected to the odd sata when other hdds are installed. Spy Aledo found out it is not an intentional limitation, so in a way bug, but then it is not intended to be used this way either, that''s why I put "bug" in quotion marks.

• i think Hp should fix this.. If I want to install a ssd or hdd on ODD it should be possible to boot it. But like spy said :maybe they will implement it.. But until then WE have to fix it for our own.. Like I try to fix my grub Problem..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!