HPE Proliant Servers

• Mmmh, do I have upgrade my firmware for my Proilant G1610?

It says 2.03 in iLO, and there is an update for 2.04, but I am not sure whehter it is firmware, or just for iL?

Also, I did not find a bin to dowload, just driver which contain a bin called danelecto, but I am not sure that is actually the firmware.

• I was just about to purchase a gen8 to replace my N40L but it seems I wont be doing that just yet if booting from the ODD port isn't possible.

I will keep an eye on this thread for reports that it is (hopefully) possible at some time soon and will purchase one then, I cannot afford to loose a hdd to the OS, my current SSD has OMV in the first partition, and is my temp drive in 2nd partition for plex transcoder and VM hdds' and then I have 3 WD reds in raid 5 and one backup disk.

• I was just about to purchase a gen8 to replace my N40L but it seems I wont be doing that just yet if booting from the ODD port isn't possible.

I will keep an eye on this thread for reports that it is (hopefully) possible at some time soon and will purchase one then, I cannot afford to loose a hdd to the OS, my current SSD has OMV in the first partition, and is my temp drive in 2nd partition for plex transcoder and VM hdds' and then I have 3 WD reds in raid 5 and one backup disk.

Booting from ODD is no problem If you can deal with the USB-boot solution: http://www.hardwareluxx.de/com…3207-81.html#post22905333

MSI B-250-DS3H-G4560 | some RAM | someTB WD red (snapraid) | OMV 5.x (latest) | DD Cine S2 V6.5

• Booting from ODD is no problem If you can deal with the USB-boot solution: http://www.hardwareluxx.de/com…3207-81.html#post22905333

Or look here, in English: http://jarrodla.blogspot.de/

In short, you install grub to a usb drive or sd card. While booting, they are checked first and point to the omv connected to the odd-sata, or any other drive.

It is not that difficult to install, even with little linux knowledge. I struggled a bit, but in the end it worked.

• thanks I'll take a look

does anyone know if the G2020 works correctly with the Gen8, I know its available with the G2020T but they are different part numbers

Intel® Pentium® Processor G2020T (3M Cache, 2.50 GHz)
    Family: Intel® Pentium® Processor
    Release: Q1'13
    Launch Date: Q1'13
    # of Cores: 2
    TDP: 35 W
    Processor Graphics ‡: Intel® HD Graphics

Compare Intel® Pentium® Processor G2020 (3M Cache, 2.90 GHz)
    Family: Intel® Pentium® Processor
    Release: Q1'13
    Launch Date: Q1'13
    # of Cores: 2
    TDP: 55 W
    Processor Graphics ‡: Intel® HD Graphics

• Just received my 2nd HP Microserver Gen8
    first is in use as a Vmware Esxi server and the 2nd will become my 1st OMV NAS with 4x3TB HDD's

I followed the how-tos and guidelines using USB thumbdrive with a HDD connected to the ODD port and booting with the grub option.
    The only problem was that the internal usb did not boot to OMV (which is on a 2,5" 320GB HDD) anymore after installing the 4 HDD's.

Hey that's wierd. .. by changing bios to legacy mode for the HDD and doing something with the 2 controllers bootup sequence it started grub and OMV.
    (a little wierd as USB is 1st boot part, but it went after the PXE boot part to actually boot from USB

But...
    now ..

Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
    md0 : active raid5 sdd[3] sdc[2] sdb[1] sda[0]
    8790405120 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]
    [=============>.......] resync = 66.7% (1956150868/2930135040) finish=112.0min speed=144816K/sec

waiting before the RAID5 part is finished (I want a little security that 1 failed disk is not causing a totally /dev/null but for sure its not a backup)

5x HP Microserver Gen8, 4x with OMV. (3x OMV4 and 1x OMV5)

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

• also, if I do get a Gen8 I want to run EXSi on it, will it pass through the disks ?

nope, it will not find any other disk than the part defined for OMV
    at least .. that is what I saw yesterday when I installed the ISO in the virtual environment

5x HP Microserver Gen8, 4x with OMV. (3x OMV4 and 1x OMV5)

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

• backup / restore from HP N40L to GEN8, i will be posting this in the backup plugin thread as well,
    but i need to know if its possible to restore the OS from a OMV backup using the plugin between the 2 devices, bearing in mind one is amd and one is intel (i think)

• Offizieller Beitrag

backup / restore from HP N40L to GEN8, i will be posting this in the backup plugin thread as well,
    but i need to know if its possible to restore the OS from a OMV backup using the plugin between the 2 devices, bearing in mind one is amd and one is intel (i think)

No need to post this in two places...

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I bit the bullet and ordered my GEN8, I am trying to get ESXi v6 to install to the Micro SD card (Samsung 16gb) but finding it impossible, first I tried intelligent provisioning, that failed at the point I select the ISO and nothing happens after that, I tried network and usb.
    then I am trying to do an install from the unetbootin extracted files on a usb stick, I get to the point that ESXi services start to load then I get a pink/purple crash screen, any ideas ? :cursing:
    I think I did see an error about no network cards being available at some point ?!?!

• Hi I was adviced to ask here in this Forum section, what I have already posted herehttp://forums.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/8017-SSD-for-OS-seems-defect-Need-advice/?postID=74075#post74075

Code
    I hope anybody can give me advice!Short history:I got a used HP N40L and set it up with OMV using an old 250GB HD, simply because it was available. Installation and everything else went fine. But due to my less knowledge of Linux and some releted messes, plus indications that the OS HD is short before end of life. I decided to by a new OS HD and set up OMV new.At the end I decided for a Samsung SSD 850 Evo, which is not really a cheap one.After that desaster began, Installation created problems, have to repeat several times and when it was finally done, I had several problems in OMV, but never thought it's related to HD. Except when booting up, there was never any indication of HD error. At boot there was always some ata error, but I couldn't find any good decription for that in the web. And I let it as it was, because OMV was always booting to the end. Then yesterday I decided again for a new installation. But no chance. It always ends up withQuellcodegrub rescue >at boot. Tried everything 4 different, new formatted USB sticks, new formated SSD, Super grub etc. etc. Finally I put my old HD again in the machine and installation goes without any problem, no errors at boot and OMV runs perfect.The conclusion is that the SSD created all these problems, but why? SMART values are perfect, so what can be wrong with this part. I want to give it back, but need to say a reason.Please help!PS Anyway I need to replace my old HD sooner or later. Is there a noob friendly tutorial how to do that with Clonezilla?

Can anybody confirm there is a problem SSD OS Disk and HP N40L?

• Offizieller Beitrag

An SSD will work just fine in a N40L.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hey everyone

Just a quick feedback for the ODD workaround (I used this guide). What isn't mentioned though, is that you have to enable "SATA AHCI support" in the ROM-Based Setup utility first to be able to boot into OMV. Also, you may create two partitions, one small one for GRUB (~128MB) and the other one for other uses.

As some reported that in AHCI mode drive temperatures are not read and thus power usage would increase, I tried changing back to the RAID controller and I get an error message from GRUB: "error: no such device: <UUID>". I then checked using Intelligent Provisioning and found that the RAID controller gave a warning message: "Array controller read cache was configured for this controller, but the system was unable to allocate the requested system memory. The read cache memory is set to 0MiB." This seems to be the case only with the 2GB RAM pre-installed for the G1610T (see here).

But I can't really say if that message was there before. Do you think that's a problem? Do you have any ideas/solutions?

• I get to the point that ESXi services start to load then I get a pink/purple crash screen, any ideas ? :cursing:
    I think I did see an error about no network cards being available at some point ?!?!

this only happens with ESXi v6, i downloaded, booted and installed 5.5 and its OK

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!