HPE Proliant Servers

• My solution for installing Debian 8.7.1 or OMV 3.x on SDCARD for a HP Gen8 was:
    - Use HPE SDCard 8GB (expensive but works also with vSphere 6.5)
    - Disconnect ALL other disk/cables.
    - Bootorder in BIOS is important.
    - When installing you will install on /dev/sda
    - Label the root filesystem with "e2label /dev/sd? hpe-deb871"
    - Boot the system, check ok, poweroff.
    - Connect other cables.
    - When booting the OS it will be /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc
    - My extra RAID P222 kontroller is then /dev/sda
    - Extra HDD/CDROM with Samsung SSD disk is /dev/sdb

• 9. Once OMV is installed with the installer, you access the web interface from a web browser on another machine. There is no need to use the command line.

...I admit that i mostly time more complicated than it needs to be.

There is something to add on your instructions.

When OMV is installed...

Using grub/boot on ssd/Omv(sata5) is just one part of sollution.OMV can be used at this stage(add hdd`s) but it`s not a finall sollution.

If HP gen8 come without electricity(for what so ever reason) there is needed:

Disconnecting all hard drives(from front otherwise it will not bootup).
    Before bootup is needed to connecting monitor and keyboard for any case.All this becouse of HP architecture.

To make completed therefor is needed to copy a GRUB from ssd/hdd to sd/usb and in the bios make bootup from sd/usb.

On the and i may say: "Vaya con Dios" to monitor and keyboard.

I did made it, but it was adventure with a trauma to never forget !!!

• hi,
    from Openmediavault website (not in forum, you are here on forum), you are able to download your iso and create what you prefer, a bootable usb stick or a bootable CD.
    On my HP Microserv Gen8 1610t, i use a ssd to install OMV3, but OMV4 is same.
    very comfortable this Gen8 :)

• I'm trying to install OMV4 on my DL-360 G7 using the internal USB or SD Card reader and after the installer finishes it never installs Grub properly. I tried the internal USB slot as well as the external USB using both USE cards as well as a SATA drive connected via a USE connector.

Has anyone ever had a problem installing via USB on a G7 ?

• I'm trying to install OMV4 on my DL-360 G7 using the internal USB or SD Card reader and after the installer finishes it never installs Grub properly. I tried the internal USB slot as well as the external USB using both USE cards as well as a SATA drive connected via a USE connector.

Has anyone ever had a problem installing via USB on a G7 ?

Can you elaborate what/where is your problem ?
    Are you trying to install from USB to hard disk or form xx to USB ?

If first option:
    -I've done it on a DL360-G5 but it needs to add ahcpi=off to grub options... and have some problems after (do not shutdown properly)
    -Also on a DL-380-G7 without problem.

If second option:
    -Have you tried to install to hard disk ?

OMV 4.x. OMV-Extras ZFS iSCSI Infiniband. Testing OMV 5.1. Testing OMV arm64

• Can you elaborate what/where is your problem ?
    Are you trying to install from USB to hard disk or form xx to USB ?

I am trying to install the OMV OS onto a USB device. I am using the iLO and that allows me to select a image file and use it as a boot device. So I boot using the OMV and I am able to install OMV and it gets all the way to the end of the installer and then complains about GRUB and asks me to chose which device to install GRUB, I select the device and it appears to work fine but then after reboot I get to the grub rescuse screen and can't boot.

If second option:
    -Have you tried to install to hard disk ?

Yes I installed to one of the 8 hard drives and that is fine. I event tried using clonezilla and cloning a working copy and then put it on a SSD connected via USB and that failed to boot as well.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• today my USB flash disk with the grub part was failing, after messing up my OMV installation I decided to re-install

so what I did was following

- Remove my 4 HDDs with RAID5
    - connect an SD card in the SD slot with OMV
    - have an 2,5" HDD on the ODD port

boot from SD card and install OMV 4.x on the 2,5" HDD,
    remove the SD card after installation
    boot from the ODD and make sure that you have ie. an USB Flash drive available.
    Make it bootable format it ext3 (there are some guidelines avail with some google)
    than from OMV install Grub on the usb flash drive

This is needed, cause the 4 HDD's for the RAID is causing the ODD disk to fail booting. (damn you HP !)

and hop.. its running..

here my guidelines (not up to date)
    https://www.aroundmyroom.com/2…10t-booting-with-usb-odd/
    mounting is wrong (needs the other way around) .. but in short it will give a working installation )

5x HP Microserver Gen8, 4x with OMV. (3x OMV4 and 1x OMV5)

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

• I've had that problem sometime ago, and as far as I can remember it pointed to a problem with grub, that was installing to a wrong drive.
    May be you are install from an USB (iso with OMV) to another USB ?
    If so , I would recommend to use another media for the OMV-ISO (CD/DVD) and test.

• Yes I installed to one of the 8 hard drives and that is fine. I event tried using clonezilla and cloning a working copy and then put it on a SSD connected via USB and that failed to boot as well.

That probably shoul not work due to the overhead that Proliant Raid Cards introduces in partitioning schema.

Iwould recommend install OMV to USB on a standard PC and then use this USB on Proliant (I´ve done that with a Debian netinstall distribution).

• Just to be sure, I've just performed following tests:

I have a test OMV 4.1. running on a 8GB SATA SDD.
    I've 'clonezilled' it to a 16GB SSD conected with a USB to SATA adapter.
    I've connected this USB to SATA + SSD to a DL380-G7
    And it started/worked with no problem.

• That depends on u`r hardware setup:

OpenMediaVault install on:

1.Usb stick/sd card,
    2.Hard drive,
    3.OpticalDiskDrive-ODD(best sollution)!

Inform of version 4 is stable?

If not 3 shall do!

User Aroundmyroom have place`d his step by step. And i did followd.But did not work for me on the and.
    On internet u can find(if his way does not succeed) another way of doing the same thing.

Scream if u need help!

• User Aroundmyroom have place`d his step by step. And i did followd.But did not work for me on the and.
    On internet u can find(if his way does not succeed) another way of doing the same thing.

Scream if u need help!

..... you are referring to this howto?
    https://www.aroundmyroom.com/2…10t-booting-with-usb-odd/

actually ..
    I have 3x an Gen8 with OMV and 2 of them were 3.x and now upgraded to 4.x and there is one which had an issue

In short: my OMV was having a very low cost flash memory USB drive and already in the beginning it had troubles to boot properly especially after a reboot. After we did some maintenance in the house the power was off and the machine had to reboot again. It failed.

As grub is only on the flash drive I was thinking it was easy to fix that. Oh was I wrong.

Following my manual as above I failed, failing is still to good for this.
    I had OMV running and the only thing I needed to do was to put grub on a new flash drive. Oh that went wrong..

Where did it go wrong (I did not had the time to modify the 2016 blog entry:

cfdisk /dev/sdb
    and do format it. (I formatted it as ext3)
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
    mount /mnt /dev/sdb1

the first mistake was that I did not properly fdisk the device, it must be 'bootable'.

I failed to mount the device properly as the command had to be "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt" not the other way round
    I did not notice my mistake, did not check if the mount was properly done. My bad.

In the end grub was totally messed up on the OMV installation causing grub fix tools to fail as well. So not being able to fix grub I decided it was time to delete all data om my OMV disk.

In the end I followed last week my guideline again to install OMV 4 directly.

What I did was following:

make sure your ODD drive (2,5" HDD in my situation with the old OMV installation) is totally clear/wiped (I used diskpart under windows)
    I took the latest OMV 4x. ISO and put that on a SD card. Booted OMV and followed the installation procedure.
    Worth to mention is that OMV 4x is giving you very little space to modify the installation yourself. In my situation the format by OMV4.x did not wipe the HDD correctly and was causing OMV not booting correctly after the new installation. That is why I used the diskpart tool under windows to wipe the disk clean. I did that because I could not understand or accept that a clean new installation of OMV4 on the Gen8 could cause issues. Here I was right.

when following my guide it will fail on the mount part, probably due to new debian version(s) cause it worked in the past.
    but other than that ..

with this guide I managed to install OMV 4.x last week again on my device and having my RAID5 adapted fine again, so other than loosing configuration data of OMV I did not loose my 5TB of data on my RAID disks.

So I would love to update the howto if there are some other things I did not write down and could help others to solve the issue of installing OMV

just after writing my not yet 2 year old 2.5" Toshiba 500GB HDD gave up on me. I had to re-install OMV again ..
    I just had to follow the grub steps again format/mount etc.. ready .. go .. ;)

5x HP Microserver Gen8, 4x with OMV. (3x OMV4 and 1x OMV5)

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von aroundmyroom ()

• @DoItMyselfToo: Did a quick search on Google and eBay. No luck on glimpsing a look inside these towers! But I managed to find some add-on cards for that particular model, so my personal guess is that it's all but uATX. And under no circumstances are uATX boards rated with somewhat 300W power draw.

1x HP ProLiant N36L ( 2011 ) with 4xWesternDigital WD20EFRX bonded as RAID6 using OMV 3.0.99 64-bit.
    2x HP ProLiant Gen8 ( 2015 ) with 4x WesternDigital WD20EFRX bonded as RAID6 using OMV 3.0.99 64-bit.
    1x Fujitsu SS 4200E ( 2006 ) with 3x HITACHI HUA723020ALA640 bonded as RAID5 using OMV 3.0.99 64-bit.

All servers don't use any flash-based storage for the operating system. The OS boots off a partition on the RAID itself!

• @DoItMyselfToo: I don't think you need a more powerful processor on a system that's THAT recent, unless you REALLY want a terrifying speed. For a company network with some 50+ clients all scrambling loads of data in unison, I would understand that. But outside of that, your system is more likely to run on idle most of the time. If I were you, I would shift my focus on RAM options in order to avoid riding on the SWAP file.

What you can do ( ! ! THIS MIGHT INVALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY ! ! ) is take out the board, carefully unmount off the CPU heatsink, clean the CPU surface with some rubbing alcohol and a non-fuzzy cloth to read the specs on it.

1x HP ProLiant N36L ( 2011 ) with 4xWesternDigital WD20EFRX bonded as RAID6 using OMV 3.0.99 64-bit.
    2x HP ProLiant Gen8 ( 2015 ) with 4x WesternDigital WD20EFRX bonded as RAID6 using OMV 3.0.99 64-bit.
    1x Fujitsu SS 4200E ( 2006 ) with 3x HITACHI HUA723020ALA640 bonded as RAID5 using OMV 3.0.99 64-bit.

All servers don't use any flash-based storage for the operating system. The OS boots off a partition on the RAID itself!

• Hi,

Just received my Gen8.
    I planned to install OMV on SSD, and use ODD sata, but after some research this morning, it seems impossible to properly boot from port5.
    My data disks will not be in a RAID (I'm using snapraid), and forcing SSD boot with raid 0 trick is not reliable for me, if a reboot / cold boot is not possible.

So what are the possible solutions ?

• install omv on USB (+SSD for data)?
    • install omv on sd card (+SSD for data)?
    • use USB only for boot partition, and keep other installation partitions on SSD ?

Thanks

• Hi,
    Connect only your SSD on your Gen8, then, activate in Bios, AHCI (not raid).
    Install OMV on the SSD. Restart.
    After that, OMV will boot on your SSD, without volume raid. Then, with OMV you will be able to create your volume.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!