DVB-S2 Network streaming options

• Hi,
    I am new here and I am currently starting with the build of my brand new NAS based on OMV.
    While I was browsing this forum and plugins website, I found an plugin for the TV recording (openmediavault-vdr), so I guess, that it is possible to run TV card on the NAS system somehow and stream its contents into the network.
    Could anyone guide me please, where to find more relevant information about hardware/software used for receiving DVB-S or DVB-S2 broadcast in the NAS and stream it to the network? I do understand, that I have to install come PCi or USB receivers to the NAS, but I do not understand the rest - how the content will get to TV? I think, that there must be also some device or HTPC by every TV in the house - or - must/can TV support some special functionality/protocol to avoid more devices connected to the network?
    Any hints please?
    Thanks!

• Hmmm, probably it does not fit my request either - I checked Homerun website and there is not device supporting DVB-S or DVB-S2 (satellite) ... any other ideas for device supporting satellite broadcast and streaming its contents to multiple TVs over LAN network (media player available by every TV - Raspberry)?

• Do yourself a favour and get a nice sat receiver which offers ip streaming like the vu devices. Then you have no problems if you need ci cards or other stuff.I have the elgato sat-ip box which is nice ... but only for unencrypted channels. Would go the vu route now.

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV 5
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc ZFS pool, SSD Boot with other NAS system

• Sounds like you are you looking for SAT->IP. If yes it should be easy to find something with this keyword.

THANKS! This is the thing I was looking for :)
    So, as much as I already studied about this SAT>IP, it seems, that my question is not related to NAS at all, but I will need to get some SAT>IP server device (I already found some on my local market) and client, which could handle SAT>IP protocol - it seems, that XBMC should work too with some plugin (found few threads online, where is this protocol solved related to xbmc).

• i use VDR on my NAS and vdrvnsi plugin for xbmc on my PI

And where is your cable from satellite dish connected? In your reply it was completely mystery for me, how you do get signal from satellite to NAS and it still is.

As other ones suggested me here, there is such a thing/protocol, which is called SAT>IP, what means, that I can connect cable from my satellite dish directly to the device supporting this protocol and it converts pure satellite signal to SAT>IP distributed via LAN to any device connected to network (for example this one: Schwaiger MS41IP).

Is it clear now?

• Was just about to post about this in the NAS build thread..

I've been though getting all this setup... its not what I'd call simple.. but... I have twin DVB-S2 streaming to XBMC devices.. live pause.. record with advert skipping.. 10 day EPG.. running on HP N36L

I have XBMC running on iPad and AppleTV gen1, there are many routes and price points for getting XBMC working..

very basics are:

DVB-S2 card. I used: DVBSKy S952 Dual DVB-S/S2 PCIe. I paid £65 on ebay.

VDR from OMV Extras. Upgraded 2.0.3

vnsiserver plugin for VDR. 1.2.0

eepg pluging for VDR. 0.0.6pre. (needed to get 7-10 day EPG )

XBMC VNSI add-on ( part of Gotham build )

comskip 0.93h.000 ( post processing of recording to remove adverts )

There quite a lot of work involved here regarding building from source, dependancies.. ( ffmeg for com skip)

I not a linux guru by any means.. but I do know my way around terminal / scripting etc so I can figure things out..

I have saved all ( most?? ) of my terminal sessions out so I have an idea of what I did... if there is enough interest here I could get this written up as some instructions / pointers..

I think it was worth the effort.. :D

...a quick google... cos I just thought about it.. looks like there is some mention of VDR to DNLA..

http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Upnp-plugin

I send quite a bit of time "reading" german forums and french.. all part of the fun! 8)

..muddling my way through linux one bit at a time....

HP N54L - OMV 5.6.20-1 - 8TB + 6TB ICY DOCK - 16GB

Mac Guru 8)8o

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von macguru42 ()

• And where is your cable from satellite dish connected? In your reply it was completely mystery for me, how you do get signal from satellite to NAS and it still is.
    Is it clear now?

i connect my dvbt onto my nas.
    once something (like my pi for example) wants to watch tv the VNSI Plugin comes in action and transmits the signal over network.

Its really simple. Just install the VDR plugin from omv-extras. reload omv-webui. configure the VDR plugin. and install/compile VNSI plugin via ssh (wrote some instruction howto do that)

Than get your xbmc up and activate the vnsi - livetv plugin.
    et voila !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!