Problem installing Virtualbox Guest addition on OMV 1.0

• Today i did a fresh install (from iso) of OMV 1.0 on my system.

I've installed the extra's plugin and then installed virtual box.
    Some of the virtual boxes i want to run need guest additions for passing trough usb devices.

So i tried to install the guest additions as described on the Virtuabox forum:

Code
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install build-essential module-assistant
    m-a prepare
    mkdir -p /mnt/disk
    mount -o loop /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso /mnt/disk/
    sh /mnt/disk/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

The output is the following:

I can't seem to find what causes this....
    Can somebody help me with this issue ?

• The openmediavault-virtualbox package depends on our virtualbox-extpack-installer package which installs the corresponding extpack for VirtualBox so you shouldn't need to install it manually.

Edit: I shouldn't have read the first post to fast, I thought this was about the extpack :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von HK-47 ()

• Ok so i think i am confused here.

Guest additions don't need to be installed on the HOST but inside the virtualmachiene ?

Any reason why an installation of a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server edition virtualmachine on a Windows Host works perfeclty, and installing a the same using OMV as a host results in the lines "Guest additions not installed" in phpvirtualbox ?

• Guest additions don't need to be installed on the HOST but inside the virtualmachiene ?

Absolutely correct!

Any reason why an installation of a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server edition virtualmachine on a Windows Host works perfeclty, and installing a the same using OMV as a host results in the lines "Guest additions not installed" in phpvirtualbox ?

phpvirtualbox is not the same as the virtualbox you know from Windows. It defenitely does not install the guest additions by default. Therefore you have to install them as you mentioned NOT at the host system, INSIDE the virtual machine. :thumbup:

• I still have troubles getting it to work.

I copied the vdi disk image i've created on my mac to my OMV.
    In OMV virtualbox (php) i create a new device with the VDi as source disk.
    After booting into the system i installed the gues addtions inside the virtual machine, but still can get an internet connection to it.

On the phpvirtualbox screen it shows (Guest Network Adapter):

• Ok, I resolved it.

The problem what that the eth0 interface whas not being detected insde the virtual box.
    Together with the (Guest Network Adapters) message, i assumed it whas a problem with the Guest Addons.

After letting the VM redetect the ehternet interfaces, the problem is solved.

Sorry for the mixup!

• I still seem to have some issues regarding the interfacing of the virtual box to the host.

I can't get the USB devices put trough to the guest.

Here is a screen shot the my phpvirtualmin usb tab:

if i do a lsusb command in my guest, the result is as following:

Code
    domoticz@domoticz:~$ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    domoticz@domoticz:~$

Some webpages suggest is should add my user to the vboxusers group, but my guest system doesn't have that group.

Code
    domoticz@domoticz:~$ groups
    domoticz adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
    domoticz@domoticz:~$

Am I doing something wrong again or how should i fit this issue ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!