4 HDD's merge to one?

• Hi,

I'm new to OMV, just installed 1.0. I have 3x 2TB disks and one 750gb disk. I've read as much as I can before starting this project. Is it possible to merge the disk to 1 big storage, pool them together? So I don't have to worry about a folder being full on one disk, instead it uses the empty disk when one is full without me noticing.

I've read about Greyhole, but from what I understand it is for backup, and not great when moving and changing files a lot. Most of my diskspace is Media which is replacable, but I have maybe 300gb important stuff that I want to backup automatically. Is it possible to chose one folder, or one partition of the disk that should be backupped to another disk automatically?

Thank you!

• Not only aufs but some additionla scripts too.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Yes, an rsync script to backup the folder you want to secure twice. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Yes, an rsync script to backup the folder you want to secure twice. ;)

Greetings
    David

Great, thank you.
    Looking trough the plugins, I can only find rsnapshot, is it the same thing as rSync?

This guide show both aufs and snapraid: http://omv-extras.org/simple/i…d=guide-aufs-and-snapraid
    I have no use for snapraid if I use rSync right? Or is it needed for aufs?

And one more thing, if I add more disks later on, can I add them to the same pool?
    Also, how do aufs structure everything, will it separate everything on different disks or will it fill up one disk and then go on to the next?

• I have no use for snapraid if I use rSync right? Or is it needed for aufs?

SnapRAID is for parity. rsync for backup. You could even use both. Though, neither is needed for AuFS which just pools your drives together.

Looking trough the plugins, I can only find rsnapshot, is it the same thing as rSync?

I haven't used it myself, but you should be able to use it too, it makes a lot of copies instead of just one. Though I spoke about a simply rsync script. rsync is just a system program.

And one more thing, if I add more disks later on, can I add them to the same pool?

Yes, you can add more disks later on.

Also, how do aufs structure everything, will it separate everything on different disks or will it fill up one disk and then go on to the next?

AuFS pools your drives together like I said. It balances with calculated on the free space.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!