Configuration rsnapshot

• Hi,

I would like to make rsnapshot every 1st day of the month at 3am a backup of my important files. I think it could work with scheduled jobs, but I don't know what to enter there in the command line. Does it work like this, or do I have to realize it in another way?

Greetings
    halfdan

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have to manually edit the cron job that executes the rsnapshot jobs. Look in /etc/cron.d/

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I took allready a look, but to me it's Not clear what and where I have to enter to achieve my goal.

If everything is entered correctly will the server wake up, or do I have to create an additional wakeup task?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Code
    30 2        1 * *           root    /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/rsnapshot monthly

The second column is the hour that it runs. So if you want 3 am, change it to a 3. To schedule a wakeup time, you could try using rtcwake in the openmediavault-wol plugin.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi ryecoaroon,

thank you! At first I thought that the configurationfile is something special of this plugin but obviously it's not. Here I found some explanation in german. Perhaps it is useful for other users to!

https://www.4stats.de/develope…l-und-crontab-syntax.html

But to be sure that I configure everything right I added some screenshots.

1.jpg shows the configuration of the Backupplugin

6 monthly and 1 yearly backup will be stored

Now my questions with 2.jpg the openmediavault-rsnapshot configfile in cron.d.

If I have understood everything right, only line 8 is important, here I have to fill your line no. 1

0 3 1 * * root ......

Can I delete the lines 5-7 an 9, or do I have to leave line 9 because of the yearly backup and if so, what should I enter here

0 3 1 11 (for November) * root .......

or takes the plugin the 12th monthly snapshot and renames it to "yearly"?

Greetings
    halfdan

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your config is right but don't delete any lines from the cron.d file. Just change the time in the monthly line.

• Hmm,

and whats about the times that are noted in these lines? Does the Backup-Plugin ignore them?

I try to get the logic behind. When in the plugin no hourly, daily and weekly snapshot is marked (0 is entered) then it ignores the lines for hourly, daily and weekly in the cron.d?

Then the yearly backup in the above example (2.jpg) is created at 1st January at 2am?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The cron jobs run at their specified time but there is nothing to do so they exit. So, if set the number to zero, the plugin won't create an rsnapshot job for that section.

Yes, it looks like the yearly will be created on January 1st.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!