question about some hardware I was thinking about purchasing

• I was looking at purchasing an IBM X3550 M2 with dual quad core xeon 2.4ghz and 16gb ram.

I wanted to know if this would work for an openmediavault setup? I don't have any experience with server racks I did see it said vga out so I can work on it with a monitor till I can remote in.

I am familiar with putty and I use archlinux and centOS on different machines.

I will ultimately be:
    transcoding some
    running usenet/torrent
    plex
    I may see if I can set it up to do a gateway/router config. I used to use a separate desktop for pfsense.

this will come with everything but drives. I know its probably overkill for what I need but the price is cheaper than I can find budget computers for. Also it is used.
    Thanks everyone.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It will work fine. Not energy efficient though.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think so. You could probably remove one of the xeons to make it more energy efficient. It will be loud as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• so it should be stored in a like a large closet or something?( I have a walk in closet) How loud do you think? I know its probably a terrible idea to think about housing it in the basement - gets damp. Unless that wont affect it.

thanks for the input

• so it should be stored in a like a large closet or something?( I have a walk in closet) How loud do you think? I know its probably a terrible idea to think about housing it in the basement - gets damp. Unless that wont affect it.

thanks for the input

1U servers are usually between 40-50db in idle. Noise level will be very close to washing machine with tone of vacuum cleaner, if that makes sense :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

And the smaller the area you put it in without air flow, the hotter it gets and the more noise it makes.

• Ok I pulled the trigger and now I own a proliant dl360 g5. Now I wanted to know if its better to install debian and then omv or just use the omv iso. Will I still have a functioning debian install with omv iso where I can install regular debian packages? Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would use the OMV ISO. You end up with almost the same thing either way.

• Ok I pulled the trigger and now I own a proliant dl360 g5. Now I wanted to know if its better to install debian and then omv or just use the omv iso. Will I still have a functioning debian install with omv iso where I can install regular debian packages? Thanks.

Absolutely functioning debian install with just the iso. I initially planned to use my NAS as a HTPC as well, however I decided to use an Asus Chromebox instead. I do however have Boinc running on my Dell PowerEdge T20 with no issues.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!