New to OMV, need help with my array.

• Hey, I am planning to switch my server from FlexRAID to OpenMediaVault.

My current server has 4x 4TB and 16x 2TB.
    With FlexRAID I could just throw them all together and get a RAID 6 equivalent redundancy while using the full capacity of the system.

Though I'm guessing this wont be the case with a more traditional software RAID such as OMV where mixing capacity's usually mean it will use the lowest capacity and get rid of the rest.
    So my question to you guys is how I can use the full capacity of all my drives while still maintaining RAID 6 redundancy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No offense but it is impossible to have two drives fail and still use full capacity of all drives. 8 tb would have to be dedicated to some kind of parity/backup/checksum/whatever.

There are lots of options with OMV:

greyhole - pooling + multiple copies of files
    snapraid - up to six disks of parity
    aufs - pooling
    mhddfs - pooling
    mdadm raid
    zfs plugin coming

Depending on the files stored, I think your best option would be snapraid/aufs combo with scheduled sync (for media files) or greyhole.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I understand that I will lose data to the parity.

If that is only 8TB (as 4TB is the highest capacity) then I am happy.

I was just wondering if it wouldn't turn the 4TB drives into 2TB and thereby wasting 8TB (not counting parity that is)

Flexraid used snapshot, i had 2x 4TB sert a party drives and the remaining as data drives. so apart from the 8TB parity I would not lose any capacity.
    Can this also be done with the normal RAID 6 within OMV or will I have to use snapshot again.

PS: it is mostly large static media files.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you use mdadm raid 6, it will make all drives 2 tb.

Since it is large static media files, use snapraid with two 4tb drives as parity drives and the rest as data/content drives. Use aufs or mhddfs to pool the drives. Schedule snapraid sync daily or do it manually whenever you add more files. I think you would be very pleased with this solution in comparison to flexraid. You can compare to flexraid here.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• If you use mdadm raid 6, it will make all drives 2 tb.Since it is large static media files, use snapraid with two 4tb drives as parity drives and the rest as data/content drives. Use aufs or mhddfs to pool the drives. Schedule snapraid sync daily or do it manually whenever you add more files. I think you would be very pleased with this solution in comparison to flexraid. You can compare to flexraid here.

Im testing it out on a server now, I have a base install of OMV with the OMV-Extras installed.
    I have also installed SnapRAID and aufs pooling.I have 11 sas drives listed in the physical disks section of OMV.

But I cant add them to the SnapRAID for some reason, do I first have to do something to the drives?
    EDIT: Oke so i have to add them to a file system first. i tried doing this but I cant mount them for some reason.

I select the drive, i press mount but it still doesn't mount the drive.
    Can someone walk me through the process please?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes

• Offizieller Beitrag

SnapRAID uses the same drive list that you can use for creating Shared Folders. It must not "see" the cciss devices.

• SnapRAID uses the same drive list that you can use for creating Shared Folders. It must not "see" the cciss devices.

To make them show up i need to go into file systems and create a file system correct?
    I can create them but it wont mount them and they wont show up in the list.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, you need to create and mount filesystems. So, you need to submit a bug report to Volker here

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!