How to "wake over lan" from windows prior login

• Hi all,

I'm about to replace my Windows Homeserver and am looking to achieve the same level of comfort as before.

Therefore I need a simple way to wake up my OMV NAS via LAN when my Windows 7 Computer is booting.
    I would like to issue the WOL command prior login.

Right now I'm using "wol.exe" from "Gammadyne Corporation" via a batchfile in autostart.

• And where is your question? If you know how to WoL a machine already you should know everything you need...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• To be honest, I don't even know why you are asking a question about the windows 7 bootup process, in the OMV Configuration section of the OMV forum...

Did you take a wrong turn somewhere?

If you could just go ahead and make a plugin for it, that'd be great.
    N54L/4GB/12TB

• Guys - let´s help him here. ;)

To start scripts before the actual windows logon, you can use group policies. Go to "Start" >> "Run" and type in "gpedit.msc". There you should be able to link your already existing script for WOL.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can use the task scheduler in windows and your batch file. It has a trigger for windows startup, also options to run whether user is logged or not. I can't assure that the network will be on if the user isn't logged, especially on wifi, over wired maybe it can work. We can help you here with OMV, those request you're asking can be easily found in google, superuser.com, etc.

• Thanx for your replies.
    The reason I asked that question here is that OMV as a SOHO application is an excellent replacemnet for Windows Homeserver.
    And for Windows Homeserver exists a nice tool called "Lights-Out" which is something like OMV Autoshutdown with an "Auto-WOL" Client
    merged into one easy to use package. So I hoped someone else would have gone the same road I'm going now, from Windows Homeserver
    to OMV whilst trying to maintain the same level of comfort. So I think this here is in fact the right place to ask.

Nevertheless WastlJ and subzero, you pushed me in the right direction.

What I did now is include my batchfile in the task sceduler, group policies are to complicated for my taste and level of expertise (-none-) !
    I added a task to execute said batchfile, which is just a call of wol.exe with its corresponding atributes.
    I activated some options like: execute upon startup, execute upon userlogon, execute for each user, repeat execution if previously dropped, check for network prior execution.

So far it looks good to me, my NAS is booting up upon Logon, which didnt work properly from autostart. What I will have check is wether there will be a wake-call after wake-from-resume of my Win 7 machine.

I'll keep this threat updated, perhaps there is someone else doing the same thing -switching from Windows Homeserver to OMV. ;)

• group policies are to complicated for my taste and level of expertise

A batch file with a WOL.exe command is the best bet for you, unless you are willing to read up about the w7 bootup process and group policies.

/thread

If you could just go ahead and make a plugin for it, that'd be great.
    N54L/4GB/12TB

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!