smart settings

• hiho,

I have a few questions concerning the S.M.A.R.T. settings, since the wiki page of this topic is a bit sparse :Phttp://wiki.openmediavault.org/index.php?title=S.M.A.R.T.

I made some pictures and will reference the settings with the numbers shown in those.

When I activate S.M.A.R.T. (1) what type of checks will be done per hard-drive? "offline", "short", "long",…? Looking at the checking interval in (2) my guess is that this is more of a quick test. Is it an "offline" test? Is the default interval (2) good enough or should that be longer/shorter.
    Per default there are no temperature thresholds set (3). I can imagine that there are at least some broad recommendations when S.M.A.R.T. should inform me about high temperatures. Or can the recommended temperatures vary that much between different drives?
    Since i suspect that the test in (1) is only a "offline" test, would it be a smart (ba-dum-tsch) to schedule some "long" tests for each drive every week or so? Or some of the other tests?

Any help is welcome since I don't have much knowledge about this. If some of those settings can't be answered in general but depend on the particular drives or setup some guidance on what to look for would be helpful.

Oh, and thanks for this cool project btw.

• Or can the recommended temperatures vary that much between different drives?

Recommended temperature range probably differs from drive to drive. But as long as the drives are within their normal temperature range you don't have to care much about the temperature influence on the lifetime.

I can't tell about the rest of the smart settings, I don't use the automated checks.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• checked the specifications of my drives which say that the operation temperature is 0–60°C. that seems to be the case for most newer drives. according to some website I read, older drives only have a range from 0–55°C. but I have not investigated when and why that changed. my oldest drives are 10 years old and have a range of 0–60°C, so that might have been the case for even older drives.
    google did some research on the failure rate of their hard drives http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf which suggests that the failure rate goes slightly up at about 45°C onward. it also suggests that temperatures below 25°C are even worse.
    for now I'll set the informal report at 45°C and the critical one at 50°C since the temperature of my drives are at about 35–40°C right now. The 40°C seem to be a bit high to me since they are more or less idling right now. I might look into that and set the tresholds a bit lower if I can get them a bit cooler.
    I'm still not sure what a good value for the temperature difference would be. This might be the least significant one because if a drive spikes in temperature it would produce a informal or critical report either way. I have no experience on how fast and to which amount the temperature changes under heavy load or when somethings broken.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!