NTFS Write Speed, super slow. Sub 10MBs.

• Hello,

Over the last few days I have been having issues with ridiculously slow write speeds to various NTFS USB3.0 HDDs. Ideally I'd never use NTFS but friends seem to like it!?

I have tried many suggestions from the web and I have made sure my USB3.0 is working, speeds are very fast when writing to drives that are EXT4 (>120MBs) but with NTFS i'll be lucky to get >10MBs. If I have 1TB to copy I could be looking at 32 hours of copying, I don't really fancy that. Read speeds from NTFS are pretty good 100MBs.

I assume there is nothing that can be done about this and the issue lies with how Debian handles NTFS?

If that assumption is wrong, or anyone has any ideas please let me know else it's a week of copying for me! :cursing:

Cheers,

lewsut

• What CPU? CPU Load while copying files?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• How compares the load to copy from ext to ext filesystem?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Then your CPU probably is too slow to write faster with the ntfs-3g implementation.

Greetings
    David

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

• Fair enough.

So is the ntfs-3g awfully inefficient?

Would I not expect to see my CPU load at 100% and then not being able keep up with the writes? At the moment there is still 50% head room, as I see it.

Cheers,
    lewsut.

• So is the ntfs-3g awfully inefficient?

I would not say its that bad...

Would I not expect to see my CPU load at 100% and then not being able keep up with the writes? At the moment there is still 50% head room, as I see it.

Well... Samba is capped on Atom CPUs too, and they are not at 100% either while dooing read/writes from/to samba. ;)

Greetings
    David

• Zitat

I would not say its that bad...

166% differnce between EXT and NTFS write speeds, I'd say that's pretty bad!

Do yo know the reason for the cap?

Right I shall begin 128 hours of file copying! AhhHHHhHH!

• Copy them over the network, should be faster should it?

About the speed... yeah seems to be around that number...:

http://serverfault.com/questio…/ntfs-3g-poor-write-speed
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=24832
    http://superuser.com/questions…lly-slow-15mb-s-on-ubuntu

Greetings
    David

• Unfortunately I'm given USB3.0 drives to put these files on. Network is not an option.

Yeah I have read all those links already ^^ (and many many more), it seems that NTFS-3g got thrown together 10 years ago and just let to rot, apparently it's a mess.

Zitat

I believe that the free version of NTFS-3G is
    crippled so that it uses 4 KiB writes with no caching, causing
    extremely slow write performance on SSDs and USB drives.

Oh well, thanks for your time David!

• Unfortunately I'm given USB3.0 drives to put these files on. Network is not an option.

Well... attach it to your Desktop PC then.

Greetings
    David

• Maybe after I have finished Ethernet wiring the house. Over the WiFi I can get around 14MBs.

An improvement but not much!

It's amusing that from server to PC over WiFi it's faster than a direct USB3.0 connection with a theoretcal through put of 625 MBs. Heh!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!