System Drive Failure: RAID still accessible after Replacement?

• Hello everyone,

i just got my HP Microserver. My Build is rather simple:
    1 SSD containing the OMV
    2 3Tb WD Red Disks (Raid 1)
    i just installed OMV. Currently the Raid1 is syncing (i created it using the Webinterface...)

Now to my question: if the system-drive (the ssd) ever fails, will the files on the data-drives (the raid) still be accessible after replacing the system drive? i sure hope so and from my unterstanding of the technology it should be this way, but i want to be 100% sure about this.
    Main Reason for asking is that i want to swap the ssd for a USB Thumbdrive (which is more likely to fail than the SSD).

BTW if you have any suggestions for changes to my setup (snapraid? using LMV2? i dindt quite understand all of this), please come forward.

Any answers welcome & thanks in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, if your system drive fails, the data is safe as it is on a separate physical drive(s). You would just boot your new OMV install and mount your raid storage. You really need to reconsider your thumb drive idea. You'll likely be reinstalling and setting everything up every other month if you go that route. Flash drives have a very short life as a system drive under most circumstances.

snapraid, etc.. I don't use them, but many do.

You might want to consider some automatic rsync jobs as opposed to raid1. It's easy to setup and keeps the filesystems completely independent.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!